Travel/Health Insurance for French Residents holidaying in UK

Can anyone tell us which company they have used, to cover their holiday/visits to UK…

As a holder of a UK S1… I should get free treatment, but Repatriation to France is, at the very least, essential Health cover in my own view… as I’d rather get medical help in France… :wink:

any thoughts ???

Staysure

Do you have a Visa Premier bank card by any chance, Stella? That covers repatriation.

Nope … I’ve got a Credit Agricole card… I’ll see what extras that might cover…
but it seems like most folk don’t bother… (or else they’re keeping the info to themselves… :rofl: )

Here’s a question for @fabien. A French person, when they go abroad, uses a CEAM, the CPAM pays its bit, and the mutuelle tops it up (I think).

If you are insured with the CPAM because of an S1, or, as in my case, because health insurance is deducted from my German pension at source, you can’t get a CEAM, but you do get an EHIC from the UK, Germany or wherever. Would the mutuelle, in particular April, top up what the EHIC country pays?

Hi @Rachman unfortunately Mutuelle can only top up refund from CPAM, not from the EHIC or any other scheme. Also worth noting that refunds abroad are based on CPAM’s rate which may be completely irrelevant in countries such as the US or Switzerland, Canada, etc.

1 Like

Eek. What a good clarification to know, @fabien !

I have a suspicion the UK NHS’s “notional” scale of rates chargeable may be a lot higher than CPAM’s scale rates. Even if the UK NHS is fully free in the UK to most users whereas France often not and needing a mutuelle or the individual to cover part of the cost.

But a refund by your EHIC country would be based on that country’s rate, surely?

That’s what I assume too. I think Fabien might have been referring to those using a French CEAM in other EU countries.

Yes I did, actually CEAM = Couverture Européenne Assurance Maladie which is the exact thing “you’d” call the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card). And yes the rate is based on the EHIC issuer country’s rate indeed.

2 Likes

Phew! slight relief there. Only the usual really expensive countries to worry about then.

1 Like

Just don’t get sick!