Using Chat GPT for French practice

I started experimenting with Chat GPT yesterday. I downloaded the app both on my MacBook and my iPhone. On the Mac I need to do some sorting out as I have two voices. On the iPhone however it’s working a treat. I told GPT I wanted it to be called Amélie, and to converse with me in French correcting any mistakes I make at the end of my inputs. It’s a hands off experience requiring no button pressing as I listen on my headphones. I told Amélie to speak more slowly as ‘she’ answered my questions on the Lot. I asked about various things like employment and communications. My hope as someone with not much exposure to the language is to bring the vocabulary hidden in the depths of my brain into tip of the tongue use. Has anyone else dabbled with this exciting tech?

3 Likes

By the way, unless you download Chat version 4 it’s totally free!

I realised there is no need for headphones using Chat GPT on an iphone (must be ios16 min). It does make mistakes though and one needs to watch out for these. I had less success using it on my MacBook as the audio doesn’t work correctly for me. I am instead using it for written exercises. I couldn’t find an app for the MacBook with the free AI version 3.5 so use a web based application.