What do you do?

Is memory Lane just for men and boys?

Memory Lane.

Cosy place.

Get well soon matey - if it's anything like Chez Nous there's probably a 'serves you right' hovering somewhere!

I was chairman of a few things- always had pre meetings to avoid any difficulties!

We are in Memory Lane Barbara

Have you forgotten where you are boys?
You are all in the wrong place....

This is the autobiography section.....

You all lost your way in the passage way....the argument dept

is close by ....but not here.

£2 6s 9p rising to £3 1s 2p seems i missed out somewhere down the line

I was the same when House Chairman at our golf club. One initial meting with the other committee members to agree what needed doing then :- 'Right Ho Chaps, see you next year. I'll sort it out from here '. Never could abide committees ;-)

My old man was a fitter & turner with the local bus garage. He had a lot of his longish straight hair ripped out by a belt driven pillar drill. It grew back curly. Weird or what? Clever old bugger tho' he could make almost any bus engine bit needed. During the war him & his brother were some of the guys who built the coal gas retorts which were towed behind the buses which ran on the gas produced. Guess I must have inherited my genes of genius from him ;-)

Thanks for the info Eva, i did call last summer 2013 to find a lot of them had passed away will have to stick my head through the door and say hello on Sunday afternoon

It was Vic. 1973. My first job after A-Levels, which I nearly passed. Trainee manager on the princely sum of £664 per annum! I was rich. Beer only 13p a pint!!

In 76/77 I spent 18 months as a trainee at Gleneagles Hotel. The Ryder Cup brought back memories!

I beat you then John. I got 3 pounds 10 bob for my first wage. Slide rules were given out by reps. who were always trying to cultivate the friendship of future engineers & specifiers. I've still got some of 'em including a circular one packed away with my Abacus.:-) Wish I still had the spiral one though. That was some tool !

I subscribe t the Brian Clough school of management, "If we disagree, we sit down for 20 minutes and talk and decide I was right" I paraphrase a little!

oi I started my apprenticeship in 1963 there were still belt driven lathes

The company I served my apprenticeship with was G. N Haden & sons Ltd. Apparently George Nelson was James Watt's apprentice so you weren't that far out Peter.

You had a slide rule wow you posh bugger i could never afford one seem to remember they were hellishly expensive well at least to me on about £3 a week

As i have stated earlier at 14 i wanted to be an engineer mother wanted an office job for me i just could not see myself sitting in a room all day. I retired at 62 forced to but over the years i adapted slightly as more technology came in computer operated machinery programmable tools. The first micro processor fitted to an electric vehicle parked at Birmingham airport took on a life of its own and careered off demolishing all that got in its way Two engineers worked all day without finding a problem buttoned it all up about to walk away and it took off again .Schools in the 70s dumb down trades pushing everyone into 6 form and onto Uni . the same qualification could be obtained by an apprentice attending college albeit at a slower pace but at least they were earning while learning. Until we bring back the full apprenticeship not the 6 or 12 months at school apprentice the UK will always have to go elsewhere for its skilled workers

You have to admire the cut of their jibs, in those days (Brunel second from right) :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/Isambard_Kingdom_Brunel_preparing_the_launch_of_%27The_Great_Eastern_by_Robert_Howlett_crop.jpg

See, I knew you were really Dinsdale Piranha! Peter will confirm it.

I thought that she was Pochahontas's sister