What do you do?

60s eh ?

What was it like working alongside Isombard Kingdom Brunel ?

BTH hotels were fantastic! I stayed at Gleneagles, Turnberry, Royal Dornoch and they were second to none. Their wine lists were superb and when they sold off their cellars I was lucky to get hold of some absolutely classic wines. I remember that in some of the hotels you were expected to dine in a DJ. Heating was fine too!

Started climbing stairs again, amazing how everyday tasks become difficult !

"One small step for man, one giant leap for Ronnie Corbett" !

Yeah right. No early maps would have been possible without SOHCAHTOA & all that stuff.

Blimey. Tregenna Castle as in British Transports Hotels ? I was an apprentice engineer when new boilers were put in in the 60's. Small world if it's the same place.

Oh shut up Gimpy. ! I'm gimp'd up today. Dunno whether it's gout or a sprain but it don't alf 'urt. Just managed to struggle to the resto. for lunch & now I'm gonna act all pathetic & see if I get looked after. Fat chance methinks :-)

Well I know I don't - it's just all those b***ers who disagree with me that are the problem!

"We don't argue..."

Oh yes we do !

Don't need that to make me cranky Norm. Most people do that ;-)

How many more times must we tell you . We don't argue , it's just that some folk are a little more fragile than us & think we do. ;-)

Or a darby and Joan club without many Joans?

So nice that you are having fun rather than having an argument.....

Should I have said "Instigation of pleasantries"

Always thought that was an island that blew up in 1883......!

I still have my old slide rule and log books from college !

I'm not normally a hoarder but they somehow never got thrown out with the other junk !

Yerrrh? C'mon - you made that all up didn't you?

Vic, you do realise of course that the SOHCAHTOA makes you a cranky old sod? I have a few things of my own that qualify me!

So glad you asked, Norman!
In sensitometry, we plotted the performance of photographic emulsions using a D/Log E curve. (Where D = Density and Log E is the logarithm of Exposure. This was otherwise known as a H & D curve (after Heurter and Driffield) and was seen as the most useful way of visualizing the performance capabilities of the material. The best results were usually obtained when all the important parts of the image were located along the straight-line portion of the curve. Now isn't that interesting?
I was always bewildered by trigonometry, because my Grammar School taught it purely as an academic exercise and never explained what it was useful for. If only they had said "Let's get some surveying instruments and see if we can make a map." my subsequent life might have followed an entirely different course.........

My parents visited me in Germany, my father asked for a beer in a bar and then asked if he could have beer and not dishwater instead. He eventually got a Bockbier that he hated but at least it had a bite. That was early 70s. He being a Scot drank a pint and a shot, or several, and did so until he popped off 15-ish years ago. Lager was emergency rations, preferably for other people. As for putting something in beer, there I have seen bitter and lemonade shandy on a pub's board (eh??) well heresy is the mildest that can be said. We used to like local brews and everybody's was best, with designer ales even that is no longer easy. It is a shame that it has all turned out as it is now.

Wow, Brown and Mild was a boiler maker!! :-) And ditto for the reason, always like a little extra ...

I especially remember most rounds on Saturday nights including chasers at some point ! *mutters, what's this "lager" stuff...* My favourite was what we called a "brown top", with mild, ie a half of mild in a pint glass (dimple, not straight, and held with the fingers inside the handle around the glass) with a bottle of brown ale (Thwaites's of Blackburn, in those days). Reason? Simple, you always got a bit more than the half ! I seem to have noticed that nowadays there's a measuring line on the pint glass...

Ian, I bet you remember, like me, when people would ask if a whisky would be OK on your round? Well it may have been my dad. Now it is the lager drinking softies who add lime who should ask if it is OK!!

When I worked at Tregenna castle as a trainee manager I drank Boiler Makers and was proud to be non-emmett.