What is a fair hourly rate for unskilled labor?

Hi
If you are seeking employment you can register with the Pole Emploi.
Here is a useful link where you can search job vacances in your area.

Pôle emploi

There are also plenty of other sites online e.g Linkedin …etc that you could try

Good luck

1 Like

You can use the Pole Emploi to find work (as Tracey says) but you will need at least your Social Security number for anyone to actually pay you as an Employee!

Are you in the French system yet with a Carte Vitale etc ??

Are you Micky Dhillon or Jatt Saaab… there seem to be two of you in the same conversation… ?

I don’t know any french artisans who don’t take cash, it can still be declared just down to the artisan if he does or doesn’t. Even the chambre de métier course said take a percentage or you will never make a living.

Mmm… so long as the quotes and bills match and you always bill for work done… taking cash is no problem. :relaxed:

They (denunciations) still are. I had a roofer contracted to redo the roof on my previous house in a small rural village. Someone called out the work inspectorate on him. Made for an interesting conversation.

There is taking cash and then there is “taking cash”. With the quote marks it’s a euphemism for undeclared with no invoice issued. If you are simply saying that an artisan accepts cash as a method of payment for work he puts through the books, then as long as he doesn’t exceed the legal limit for cash transactions it’s no different from saying that he takes cheque or credit cards.
Of course a lot of artisans do “take cash” but unless they are very stupid they don’t broadcast it, and they only “take cash” for certain types of job and for clients they know and trust. If it gets generally known that they are on the fiddle, their business won’t prosper because good clients won’t want to be seen to be using them and they will only ever get work from dodgy clients that don’t want to pay.
A local mason has a code for his trusted customers because he’s convinced his phone is tapped: if you want him to do a quick “cash” job you phone and say “je t’invite prendre un apéro, tu peux venir demain?” and he fixes a date to come and look at the job.

1 Like

Getting work done illicitly also means you have absolutely no guarantee let alone the 10 year one on building work.

1 Like

That said, no self respecting trade is going to do a crap job, that may damage his reputation…not if he’s got any sense, that is.

1 Like

Not really the point though is it. It’s also about fair competition, and about giving you customers the protection that the law says they should have. I’m struggling to see how a self-respect and caring about your reputation, and systematically engaging in unfair competition and leaving your customers open to prosecution, can go together.
Replacing a tile on the black is one thing, doing a full re-roof on the black even if you do a technically fautless job, is another.

1 Like

You’re right of course…but in the time I’ve been here; & all the tradesmen, I’ve met &/or worked with, not one amongst them will ever refuse cash (black, if you prefer)
In our village there are several builders ; all of them are booked up for at least 18 months…this comes from being born here ; knowing folks / being related ; etc., etc.
They dare not do a crap job ; & there doesn’t appear to be any “competion” as such.
The builders in other villages round here all know one another, as again, many are cousins or related by marriage etc.
As for customers being prosecuted for paying in cash, I know someone who was investigated as a result of being “grassed”…the customer was never even contacted, never mind questioned.

1 Like

I know someone who employed a couple of builders who were supposedly en règle, being paid who knows how, all was fine until their labourer fell off a roof and then it came to light they weren’t en règle at all. The gendarmes came round, he thought to get a witness statement but no, to give tge rdv for a court appearance in the dock.
Dodgy as hell and I hope they all got their come-uppance. All English except the one who fell off the roof.

1 Like

I thought France was famous for paying in cash on the black most businesses around here take it on the black builders car mechanics gardeners every professional you can think about do it I always ask and nobody have said no yet. I was driving the French country side this summer most of the restaurants I eat in did take my money on the black

1 Like

How do you know?? Did they actually say to a total stranger “Thank you and by the way I will not be declaring this income”???
Practically, it’s complicated for restaurants to take much on the black unless their suppliers are also on the black, because they have to record what they spent on stock and the fisc know what the markup is, so if cost of stock plus markup doesn’t equal approx turnover, it’s a bit of a giveaway. I know it’s nice to imagine that France is one big black economy but remain convinced that a lot of it is urban myth.

1 Like

Very unwise of them. I hope you said goodbye to them because they won’t be in business for long.

Being “en regle” & working on the black are not entirely the same thing,in that, taking cash & not declaring it is nothing like letting someone fall off the roof…that’s just plain fucking stupid.
Of course, people ignore the rules thinking they can & will get away with it, but if you remain sensible about things, it does no harm,IMO.
For trades like me that didn’t earn a fortune, but paid RSI more than seemed reasonable, the thought of working 40 years, so I might get a pension worth two-fifths-of-fuck-all at the end of it, held not much appeal.

1 Like

I’m not understanding that…people often pay in cash at restaurants, and that is perfectly legitimate. So how do you know it is not being declared? All I know is that the envelopes at our bank for paying in cash are always running out. Plus, over last 10 years, I’ve met most of the local business people I know in the bank paying in cash at some point.

You normally pay in the bar so you can see if the open the cash register ore not I have worked in restaurants my self so I now how it’s done and allot of cash registers have a hidden button so can open it with out putting in the numbers

No need to swear :hushed:I think Véro’s point was that if there is an accident at work and everything is in order, everybody is covered. If an artisan has an accident while working on a job with no signed devis therefore no legal contract therefore not covered by their professional insurance, nobody is covered. Insurance companies don’t pay out if they can find a getout clause, and if the paperwork isn’t in order they have been gifted a getout clause without having to look any further.

1 Like

Having a non conforme cash register on the premises has been an offence since 2018. If you use a cash register at all it has to be certified tamper-proof. A cash register with a hidden button isn’t going to be conforme. Just sayin’.

1 Like