Where's the best place to live in France?!

Hi Lindsey, the first thing to say is you are doing the right thing! When we moved to near Agen three years ago we had explored the whole of the South and South West so we have a good knowledge of the climate and social conditions. We are equidistant between Toulouse and Bordeaux and that is great from the travel perspective as we also have Bergerac to the north and Carcassone, Biarritz and Bayonne airports all within a couple of hours. We have found this is an important consideration for visitor and our own business travel. As far as weather goes we found Charente to cold, Languedoc too windy and the Dordogne too crowded with tourists during the summer. So it was Lot et Garonne for us, more by accident than choice but we think it is great. The summer lasts from April through till November and the winters are short and cold but often with blue skies. There can be bouts of heavy rain but they are usually interspersed with sunny days. It is certainly much better than the UK. Because it is not a tourist area property prices are amongst the lowest in France and there is something for every budget. What we also liked is the type of houses you can buy here. If you are looking for 'the French stone house' this is the best region because it stacked with large well-built stone farmhouses with barns. The reason being that the historic wealth of the area was acquired at the turn of the century by growing tobacco and fruit growers and these types of houses sprung up all over the place. Since then times have become hard but the houses are still here! We like to be within striking distance of culture and fashion for our town fix and Bordeaux and Toulouse are both great in different ways. The area has a fascinating history of wine and wars so it difficult to drive more than 30 minutes without driving through a 'bastide' or fortified stone village, they are so pretty. Many have 'night markets' during the summer with food, wine and music and it's a great way to get to know the locals. We have one of the least populated areas in France thousands of vineyards, Armagnac growers, foie gras, oysters, the best fruit and vegetables in France, three of the biggest rivers, and green river valleys, three major canals and lots of nice people. We have been told that this is the place the French come on holiday to visit 'la France profonde'! So, there it is. You would be most welcome to visit us and pick our brains and we even know a really nice agent, builders and other suppliers and many nice houses for sale! One is not ye on the market but would be a bargain as she is downsizing! If you message me on this network we could exchange details? I strongly suggest you look at this area, based around Agen! I hope to hear from you? Here is a link to a video on our nearest village, this will give you a flavour! Clermont Dessous. https://www.facebook.com/Skydric-Vid%C3%A9os-par-drone-bebop-1609748739287269/

Thank you so much, everyone, for your brilliantly helpful replies - what a great group this is.

The only trouble is, I now want to come and live in all the places you recommend.

For anyone new to the discussion, please keep the suggestions coming, so I can be even more confused...

Many thanks, Phil. That all sounds great and I think this region would have to be a serious contender.

One question: is it overly windy? Is it the mistral that affects the region? Thanks again.

Hi Jane, lovely to hear that you have done this and are happy - well done you! I will be staying near Leguillac de Cercles, sort of between Mareuil and Brantome, if you're anywhere near there. Thank you for your offer to help - very much appreciated. It would be lovely to have a coffee (or glass!), if we're not too far apart...

Thanks Lois - it certainly sounds idyllic where you are, but I so know what you mean about the isolation. I have a good degree of that here in Gloucestershire - living in an area of outstanding natural beauty, but oh so quiet. So, yes, although I also want to be away from main roads and traffic, it's a question of getting the balance right if possible and being reasonably near to civilisation too.

I just looked at the map - I think you must be quite close to where I'll be staying in June, Leguillac de Cercles? I'd love to meet a fellow writer, if you're free some time. Perhaps we can message... :-)

That's interesting, Richard - so how are you going about your search? Are you renting somewhere and doing lots of travelling? I do wonder whether I shouldn't just sell up here and buy a motorhome for a while!

I love Aix, Lis! You are in an area I would choose in a heartbeat, if I could afford a place for me and also somewhere to rent out... which I'm not sure I can. But I haven't really looked yet, so you never know! And it would be great to meet Mad Max (though he surely can't be as mad as my Toddy...)

Thanks also for your lovely private message - I will come back to you...

Sarah, we need to talk! We seem to have much in common, even down to the desire to rescue animals... though in my case the trip out is Waitrose in Cheltenham. I have total respect and admiration for what you have achieved in terms of turning everything around. But so sorry you lost your doggy and on Christmas day to boot.

I would love to meet up if poss - it looks as though we are a couple of hours apart (I'll be in Leguillac de Cercles), but hopefully we can sort something out. Will message you...

That's good advice, Bruce, many thanks. Ideally I want to be in the countryside, but I think it's vital not to be too far away from civilisation too. I'm lucky to be very fit and active now, but sadly that can't last forever! So I do need to be sensible...

That's all very helpful, Gordon, thank you. The house swap just happened to come up in Leguillac de Cercles, so I haven't really 'chosen' that area, but once I'd registered with LoveHomeSwap, this opportunity arose, so I thought why not? It's a start at least. But it's great to hear from someone who has travelled so much throughout the region - and I totally agree that I do need to be near to everyday services (even though in my heart I'd be living in idyllic countryside in the middle of nowhere!). Thanks again.

You'll might want to check what the public transport situation is like in case you can't drive for some reason, taxis are horribly expensive. We have an "On Request" bus that comes through the village 2 or 3 times a day that goes to the nearest station.

Great list, Simon, thanks!

Could vet bills really be higher than the UK?!? That's an eye-watering thought...

:-)

Thanks Steve - it's worth knowing to ask around.

No they're about the same but the products can be purchased through pharmacies which makes it possible to purchase medicaments cheaper.

Thank you so much, Nicole - seems like the LIL alone would make it worth a move to the region! I will check out your website...

What do you think of the wind in Languedoc, that has been mentioned above (and also by a friend of mine). Do you find it a problem at all? Obviously not enough to make you leave(!), but just wondering...

Phew. Thanks Chris!

Good point - thanks Steve.

Good point - thanks Steve.

Fabulous reply, Chris, thank you so much! Great video too. I will message you...

Hi Lindsey, I am in Fontaines, about 20 mins from you. Send me a message if you need anything or would like to meet up.