Why, if you live in France, did you vote for Brexit?

If one of these leavers living in France crosses my path on French soil, I will give them a piece of my mind. How supercilious and “sans-gêne” of them…

1 Like

Well said sir!

I also feel perfectly free as is, with no need for much in the way of protecting these intangible notions of sovereignty, nationalism, religion, etc that governments like to whip up during hard times to take people’s minds off the real reasons for problems. Which is often their policies, but easier to blame someone else. Having lived in mainland UK and told to go home because some thug heard my accent (I am Irish - actually dual national ), I feel there was a large amount of this mind set in the Brexit campaign. My thought is that it is not a healthy way to decide the future of a country.

4 Likes

@Brexiteer - Which laws? (…and it’s ‘our’ not ‘are’)

Just one will do…just one…and maybe you could provide a link to it just to help me out…

PS - please not one about boat building - we’ve done that one :wink: the

2 Likes

Common sense and Brexit?

2 Likes

Simon, I have been trying to get brexit brats to be specific too, but to no avail! The thing is, if the UK really, really doesn’t want an EU law to apply, it doesn’t have to accept it. Look at Shengen & the euro.
Pierre Shutupmoaning does not even have the balls to put his real name so I think his grasp of brexit reality is probably equally suspect!
So far the UK economy has not been too healthy since the vote & the brexiteers I have spoken to all seem to have different reasons to leave. For one, it is immigration. Another, trade. A third dislikes the amount the UK pays to be a member of the EU, not realising quite how much money flows into the UK but is not added into the figures.
There is mention of how poorly Italy & Greece are doing under EU admin, without mentioning how well Spain & Ireland are doing since their bailout. Spain, for a “poor” country, seems to be doing particularly well - busy, clean cities full of diverse shops, public transport which is cheap, modern & clean. Makes you wonder about the crappy old trains & filthy towns of the “economically strong” UK. Soon travellers & exporters from the UK can enjoy the experience of spending days hanging around channel ports trying to clear customs. They can spend the time remeniscing about those EU laws which gave them compensation for delayed flights, no roaming charges, clean water etc.
Shut up moaning? Not me, I’m all for Brexit! The UK has nothing to offer a modern Europe, no real industry any more. And look at the attitude of the people! They have no self respect & many walk around waiting for government handouts or so it seems. Being british used to be something to be proud of. Now I see the UK as a ball & chain holding Europe back.
The EU still has its problems but all the time we stick together they can be sorted out.

7 Likes

So are you British, Pierre?

@E_B and @Shutupremoaning

Please would you use your full name… this is a friendly forum and we all do that (and it is required under the terms of membership)

Many thanks

With all my chats with Brexiteers over the last two years, it is now evident that the Leave Vote is based on ignorance. It is NOT stupidity, it is just plain ignorance. The have absolutely not idea what or how the EU is or operates. Watch the government and they do not know what they want. Teh responses you will get are squirms, wriggles and then daft answers. There are of course, the likes of Farage who are just plain racist, but even he amused me this week. In his usual spouting fashion he was ranting about the “unelected EU”. Didn’t someone “VOTE” him to be a MEP, which he has now apparently ripped off to the tune of 80 euros. Says it all doesn’t it!

2 Likes

Carol, I’m not going to justify my Leave vote (yet again) since we could all pick each other’s arguments to shreds until Kingdom come and still never agree, but that’s rather a sweeping statement you’ve made. Many youngsters are ignorant of the history and workings of the EU - somewhere in the internet is a Youtube video showing dissatisfied Remain youngsters being asked “what has the EU ever done for you”. One replied “gave us the NHS”. So brainwashing and ignorance on both sides. Believe me, I’ve had some utterly astounding conversations with Remainers, particularly younger ones, whose knowledge of history is sketchy, whose knowledge of politics is definitely one-sided (what do they teach them in universities? I hate to think) and some whose vote was based on “anti-racism” as if that were the only consideration in the whole Remain/Leave debate. I’ve met some incredibly ignorant Leave voters too but I’m guessing stupid balances out on both sides. One year on and we are still asking the other side “why did you vote the way you did” and then challenging it to find a reason that seems valid and accords with our point of view. Interestingly, I’ve met several Remainers who say that, given the vote again, they would vote Leave. I’ve not met a Leaver who has changed their mind (but assume they must be out there). However, many of my Remain friends are even more entrenched in their opinion. Politics is fascinating, but so divisive. My Remain friends and I agree to disagree since I don’t think we will ever meet in the middle!

7 Likes

I stand by my statement. I have yet to be given ONE valid reason for leaving by a Brexiteer. Your opening statement would seem to qualify that. Whereas I can make a list of reasons to stay.

1 Like

One thing that I’m always surprised that’s rarely mentioned in discussions about Brexit and the EU… and this forum is no exception… is the question of the relationship of blind nationalism and nationalistic demagogues to war and peace between nations.

If one surveys the history of Europe over the past 1000 years, it’s a history written in blood. Having just come through Verdun, where over a million people died in that one battle just 100 years ago, one is reminded of what a different world we live in today. Nationalistists like Farage and LePen will always be around, stirring up the ignorant by demonizing the ‘other’, but for the past 60 years… one of the longest periods of peace in Europe in history… their rants have had little power because the nations of Europe have been joined together in a confederation that has brought improved lives and unparalleled prosperity and peace to every national participant.

The issues of the industrial hollowing out of England, the famous 350 million pounds, etc, are in my opinion far down the list of reasons one might use to vote against the participation within a union of historically warring nations that has transformed Europe and stabilized the world since it’s creation. Peace and war don’t just happen… they are products of policies. The EU project, for all it’s manifest shortcomings, has created so much more on the positive side of the ledger than the negative that it’s, in my opinion, not a close call. The good news is that Britain’s exit has made the union that much stronger, and within a decade the truth will be put to the jingoistic slogans. cultural fears and economic truths that led to Brexit, and Europe will continue to prosper.

5 Likes

OK, not going to argue with you here. I can make a list of reasons to leave but I’ve done that time and time here and on several fora and been challenged by Remainers that they are not ‘valid" or even “not acceptable” and I’m certainly not going to type my fingers to a stump convincing strangers that they are wrong and I’m right. If someone’s mind is closed to new information or opinions then all one is seeking is data to reinforce that position, so nothing will ever be convincing or valid. I will agree it’s all been an utter shambles since the Referendum but I still think that course of action is the best one - my Remain friends don’t, and will probably never, agree. And I doubt we shall ever change each others’ mind.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if it is worth leaving this thread open… as it is clear that folk have their own views… and never the twain shall meet…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I think it is Stella - this is a forum…we don’t all have to agree but it’s such a freedom to be able to openly discuss.

1 Like

Discussion is great … all for it… I find some of the reasons given are quite interesting …(for whichever vote) … but now…I am not enjoying some of the posts… which is why I asked the question… here on the forum… :wink:

2 Likes

I agree with Simon.

I enjoy reading people opinions, even if I don’t agree with them :slight_smile:

Martin

2 Likes

I’m more interested to know if Lois ever got a vegetarian meal whilst in hospital, far more important than Brexit could ever be. Sadly that thread got closed.

3 Likes