Women, tattoos & piercings

En espaant le cadre, le passe-partout laisse paratre l’oeuvre

Pierre Delain

Derrida aborde l’oeuvre d’art par ses parages, ses entours. Le passe-partout est l’un d’eux, de même que le cadr…

not many colours in this, but it just what he asked for…

1 Like

This is more colourful… on her own feet… nice, but not her best work…she reserves her best work for the customers… :wink:

this is not quite healed… makes me shudder to think of all that pain… ugh…

you and I are on the same wavelength :wink:… but so many others are not… and that is what makes life interesting… and certainly different…:grinning:

I find some tattoos to be ugly and also slightly intimidating. I particularly mistrust police officers who display them when wearing uniform. I would feel the same about nurses or doctors, and probably teachers, because ostentatious displays of individuality seem to me to be at odds with a person’s willingness to put others first professionally or in the line of duty.

Uniform appearance, which is why uniforms feature in callings like law-enforcement or health care, advertises a certain uniformity of dispassionate and objective service. Visible tattoos cut across this transactional ‘distance’, which can otherwise be bridged by politeness, an absence of un-asked-for familiarity, and a primary emphasis on the welfare of the other.

Having said all that, a young French art graduate who worked part-time in a local restaurant and whose own artwork (paintings, murals, posters and sculpture) was displayed and much admired on the premises, surprised me by telling me she was leaving for London to enrol on a tattooing course there, with a view to opening an atelier. It seems tattooing is gaining a new respectability.

Seems she is on a similar route to my young friend.

So long as the teacher is highly qualified… all should be well. I am amazed at the demand for tattoos, from all ages…and the money that legitimately changes hands… :grin:

I have to disagree with you about my body being the temple of any spirit (apart from a decent single malt, that is). Bodies die and bodies decompose; until then, it’s my body and I will do with it as I please. That written, I do not find tattoos to be pleasant but, as my son replied when I told him just that, “Well then Dad, don’t get tattooed”. He made a very good point.

The older that I get the more I realise that it is not for me to judge others, just to appreciate those of them who I do appreciate. Some of the people who I appreciate and love do have tattoos, some do not.

Tattoos, piercings and ear lobe rings are in vogue now but what about in 30,40 or 50 years time? I had a tattoo at 15 on my arm and it has stretched and now looks stupid. If people want to adorn their body with art or metal it’s up to them but they will regret it at some point.

I’ve got a question, I noticed on those photographs that the person’s fur has been shaved, what happens when it grows back? Or do they have to keep shaving it?

When I was a young nurse at Hackney Hospital in the '50s I looked after a lot of men who had served in the First World War. Most of them had poorly-executed tattoos, some of them grotesque and many obscene. Sailors had sailing ships, battleships, or cruisers, anchors, mermaids and complicated knotted ropes. I recall one sailor’s tattoo very vividly, inked-in on the man’s arse. There was one large open eye on each buttock, situated so they would look directly down through the ship’s ‘head’ ( often the sh*t-hole into the open ocean), presumably to say a fond farewell to his earliest evacuation, and hello to any passing mermaid. Across his lower back were tattooed the words “Good Morning!”.

It’s strange to recollect that those returning WW1 service-men were in their late fifties when I knew them. Many of them had bad chests, having been gassed in the trenches. WW1 veterans were well-known for their politeness, unwillingness to grumble or complain, and reticence to talk about the war.

1 Like

It just grows back, don’t have to keep shaving (suppose it depends where it is as to how much :laughing::laughing:). It’s only shaved for hygiene reasons while having the tat done, and to make it easier for the artist.

No idea… have they shaved ??..the lion and the leopard are around a nipple…anyway, I’ll ask the question and let you know… :grinning:

Please read me carefully. I am not judging anybody personnaly, I just say I don’t understand reasons behind this social trend, because it’s a trend. I dare to consider that trend as a kind of by product of the overwhelming body cult. That’s all.
Regarding bodies, I see mine as a temple not dedicated to my own self, which means I take care to respect it and use it in a proper manner. You think yours is a sort of whisky cask doomed to rot in the future. So far so good. Freedom of choice.

Oh dear Christian. Your sense of humour transplant doesn’t seem to have worked. You really do take yourself incredibly seriously, don’t you? I do not think that my body is going to rot in the future. I know it; it is a medical fact. Now, lighten up, there’s a dear.

1 Like

Hi Everyone… let’s keep on-topic… please… :roll_eyes: we are discussing, in general… Women, Tattoos & Piercing…

We are certainly NOT discussing our own bodies etc etc…

Let’s play nicely together, please…:heart_eyes:

1 Like

I have piercings but as they are in my earlobes nobody bats an eyelid. Not the sort you can carry a biro in either.
I went on a work trip once with 2 colleagues one of whom disappeared off one free afternoon and came back looking v cock-a-hoop because he’d had his nipples pierced, he whipped his t-shirt up in a café to show us - now there’s a sight I can’t unsee, more’s the pity. Ow ow ow if you ask me. Still, he was happy. Each to each.

1 Like

The flowers are pretty but they are not art. The cat is the sort of thing that talented prisoners sell in chalk to their chums and their families; Again skilfull but not art.

I prefer her oils and pastels… but tattoos are keeping her and her son clothed and fed.

Discussion, to my mind, is like a “bring-a-plate” shared communal meal, people bring what they can and want to, and people help themselves to what they can and want to.

It would be very bad form to tell a contributor “we don’t want that, it’s not what people eat.”

Discussion should be allowed to flow where it will, and find its own levels. There’s a fascinating (and quite rare) range of perspectives and experience here on Survive France, and it will do well, I think, to cherish that diversity and that ‘elan’ as long as it can, and wants (like “Ole Man River”) to go on.

2 Likes

Hi @anon64861675

sorry … I was referring to the way in which the “conversation” was tending towards derogatory comments … and such comments are not needed at this table…:wink: or we’ll all end up with indigestion…:heart_eyes:

1 Like