10 Articles max

True enough Robert though it’s years since I saw that.

Unfortunately France still encourages chèques as many services like doctors etc insist on cash or chèque because they don’t want to suffer the bank card charges.
I went to a different osteopath the other day who actually accepted the card, what a refreshing change.

No, just that the supermarket has a different protocol.

I’m afraid I did try it once… I did apologize when I got caught. I tend to push the envelope; silly. Imagine if everyone tried it once…

Just wait till winter time. Such irritations will be nothing in comparison with what’s to come.

Yep, that’s why I’m hoping for another mild winter.

But a necessary way to vent frustration perhaps? We can’t do anything to Putin, but we can make tutting noises under our breath at an anti-social customer.

2 Likes

Cash and cheque are anti social? mhhh

No, I made it clear that both are perfectly acceptable. What is anti-social is not considering the people behind you in the queue and spending 5-10 minutes in paying rather than 2 or 3 because yiu have not had the wit to get your payment method ready while you were queuing.

I get equally frustrated at people at eurostar check-in who don’t prepare for the security process and only when they get to the front of the queue remove coats and belt and place stuff in their pockets in one of their bags. And then complain that they had to arrive x minutes early because of the queues…Duh!

3 Likes

what’s the female equivalent of grumpy old man :grin:
:arrow_right_hook: :coat:

Grumpy old woman? :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Impatience , everyone has the right ,yes the right, to take as long as they like, if you don’t like it ask the shop to open another till, The alternative is go somewhere else.

On what basis is there a right to hold up scheduled planes and trains ?

And yes if one has a disability then of course one can take as long as needed at a check out.

But I don’t see where it is stated that people with no disabilities have the right (yes, the right) to be so self-centred that they have the right to totally ignore common courtesy to other people? (And no I don’t get frustrated at people with arthritic hands who are slow to pack their bags etc)

2 Likes

There are often specific lanes for shoppers with ability issues: what annoys me is when these are clogged by shoppers without a disability who feel they have a right to do as they please - not unlike parking in disabled car spaces because they are nearer to the door :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes Graham, the so called ‘priority’ checkouts. To be fair I havent experienced to much abuse of that. I do use the automatic tills where you pass your items through the tills yourself. This seems to work well when you only have a few things so for me, a good substitute for the 10 Items Max tills.

Interestingly, while I was in an adjacent queue I saw a cashier “stop the magic carpet in its tracks” and beckon forward either a pregnant or disabled (I forget which was priority in that aisle)… she fiddled with her till… presumably putting previous sales “on hold” and then got set for the new client…
Folk in that queue, simply hustled to one side, moved their bits… and the priority-customer was dealt with swiftly and with great care…

I witnessed that just the once, but it surely won’t be an isolated incident…
made me feel good to see that no-one moaned… :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

You have no idea why the person is struggling ,it could be anything death illness so some gob behind giving it some doesn’t help either.Intolerance don’t you just love it

3 Likes

And you never know whether the people behind you in a queue are run img out of time to get to pick up their kids, or have a bladder problem and need to move - so many reasons not to want to spend extra time in a queue. That’s why common courtesy and considering other people are valuable traits.

5 Likes

With respect, what’s that got to do with paying by chèque ?

Yes, many people struggle for many reasons. Payment by chèque is almost non existent nowadays as we have got used to rapid card payment.

Yes, maybe we do need more patience or maybe we could have a ‘happy hour’ for chèque users during the non busy periods ?

I suppose it would really help if stores like Lidl have more checkouts open when it gets busier.

1 Like

heartily agree…

I used to use Lidl s all the time when I lived in the Limousin as checkouts would open and close quickly as the demand changed. The ones close to me now are less flexible with long waits the norm. It seems to me that more chèques are used in Lidls, Leader Price and Aldi for example which exacerbates the delays.