10 Articles max

I was in the local Leclerc this morning for a few items. My total came to 7 but occasionally people try it on with more than 10 items. This doesn’t wind me up personally though I have met people in the queue over the years who have reacted to those committing that heinous crime of having more than those 10 max permitted products.

Do the perpetrators of this evil act do it knowingly or can they not count ?

Do you mean the fast checkout?

I think some people do it knowingly if they are way over but then again maybe they just didn’t read the sign. .

1 Like

I don’t mind too much as long as people are not taking the p**s - though it’s easier in many ways for the supermarket to specify a “baskets only” checkout rather than number of items, then you avoid needlessly pedantic arguments about whether one has ten, or eleven items :slight_smile:

3 Likes

2-3 small items over the 10 item limit is fine, especially if said evildoer is a parent with a child in tow trying to get their stuff and go as fast as humanly possible.

When some utter gleefully rocks up at the 10 item checkout with a trolley filled to the gunnels, the checkout person should have a Big Red Button they can press to drop said wrong ‘un into the basement where they can reflect or their actions for a while.

4 Likes

I don’t care if it is a basket full rather than 10 items in fast lane….but I do start making unhappy noises at normal tills if someone waits until they have packed all their shopping before slowly getting out their store card, and a cheque book, and a pen. And then has to find ID card. And then very slowly fills in the counterfoil.

Fine to use a cheque, but get everything ready first!!

9 Likes

Yes Jane, the chèque payers are the worst

If the “moins de 10 articles” till is free, I just ask the caissière, even if I’ve got a full caddie, and there’s usually no problem going through :wink:

1 Like

I’m reminded of my almost daily encounters with persons that arrive at the TfL ticket barriers AND then proceed to search their pockets/bags/backpacks for said ticket/Oyster Card with a shocked and outraged expression on their boat races.

Multiples of one reference are counted as one article so I will go through the 10 or fewer till if I have eg half a dozen 6-packs of milk, 5 sacks of catfood, 4 packs of loorolls, a tray of tins of tomatoes etc, which will be considered as 4 items.

1 Like

That would be considered at least 16 items in our Leclerc.

I discovered that is how it works in my local Leclerc and Inter because they told me :slightly_smiling_face: I wouldn’t have realised otherwise.

The whole point of Cockney rhyming slang is to only use one of the words in the expression word. “… on their boats”.

Today I was remarking to myself just what a terrible pen was coming from my kitchin bin.

An exception would be ‘tea leaf’ .

Right! Me old China?!

I use cheques .I hope I annoy you ,as card payers annoy me with there self rightousness

I use cheques and don’t notice any grumpiness from those behind me, but then I wouldn’t being a rude French cheque-writing time waster :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Yes, it is annoying when there is a queue with one checkout open. It’s a pain in the posterior .
This is 2022, chèques should have been a thing of the past years ago.

Pfff c’est comme ça et pas autrement, we like them.

2 Likes

I have absolutely no problem with cheques, except when they are at the bottom of a large bag and you have just stood there for 10 minutes waiting to get to the front of the queue. Get the damn thing out of your bag, and your ID, and place then at the top in a quickly accessible position.

4 Likes

10 in mine.

But you just open your chequebook, tear one off, hand it to the cashier and the machine prints it, surely? I am not asked for ID. Does that mean I’m accepted as a local?

Sure about that Peter ? What about the person who insists on laboriously finding and counting all those five, two, and one cent coins to make 47 cents when they clearly have a 50 cent coin available.

3 Likes