10-year CdS

I’ve been in France since Jan 2020 on a Titre de Sejour Speciale and intend to retire, and stay here, in January 2025, which I’ve just been idly pondering over.

Since I have a TdSS, I was not permitted to apply for a CdS under the Withdrawal Agreement but expect to be able to apply late under the provisions for exceptional circumstances.

So what I was idly pondering was that, since I can demonstrate I’ve been in the country for 5 years through bills and an attestation from my employer, do you think that it is likely that I could obtain a 10 year CdS?

As far as Withdrawal Agreement goes, I think France has been extremely understanding and generous… so far… with late applications…

A few local ones which I and our Mairie have been involved with… turned out OK, so I can speak from experience.

and I can’t see why you shouldn’t benefit from a late application… provided you do meet the “exceptional circumstances”…

At worst, you’ll get an initial 5-year card if you haven’t actually done more than 5 years… and automatic upgrade will be your right … as and when
but fingers crossed and see how the numbers playout…

best of luck

Thanks Stella, I’m assured by my employer that I do and I was more curious on whether the 5 years that I have been here would count towards a 10 year card. They’re less clear on that one.

At the end of the day, it’s not critical that I do, it’s more curiosity.

On the original application… there were 2 columns… so let’s simplify things:

Column 1) On “XYZ date” have you been here more than 5 years…
if so provide the proof… = 10 yr carte

Colum 2)On “XYZ date” have you been here less than 5 years…
if so provide the proof = 5 yr carte
(with guarantee of 10 yr carte when those conditions are met)

that’s a rough explanation…

Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

the really important thing, for you, is the explanation as to why you didn’t apply for the 5-yr card, having arrived January 2020…
But, provided your Answer ticks all their boxes about “exceptional circumstances” correctly, you should be OK…

fingers crossed…

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the CdS long durée be more suitable?

Carte de résident de longue durée-UE (étranger en France depuis 5 ans) | Service-public.fr.

It is very much in a préfecture’s gift as to whether they will even consider a late application under the WA. They are not obliged to.

As I understand it there are implications on legacy UK rights without a WARP and it’s preferable to the “standard” CdS.

Do you also have a carte spéciale ou attestation de fonction issued by the MAE? If so, are you housed by your employer as I’m not sure it’ll count as residency, best check.

That’s the TdSS that I mentioned.

To be honest, I’m not hugely fussed if it’s 5 years or 10, I was just curious what the chances might be.

You haven’t answered the question, and this can quite possibly change things for you.
Reading your previous posts I assume that you work for a mission covered by diplomatic/consular agreements. If you’re housed by them you’re not really a resident in the country in which you work, unless of course you’re locally engaged and have residency. When your work ends you have to relinquish your (when I worked for one carte spéciale / attestation de fonction) TDSS.

@JohnH JohnH
I wonder if your Prefecture is able to help/advise you on where you stand … just so you can be prepared one way or another…

Maybe you won’t have the right to the CdSWA… with its little perks… but will this be the end of the world for you???

To answer both at once.

I did, I said I had a Titre de Séjour Spéciale. Edited to add: sorry, missed the housing question. Yes, housed by the employer and we own a house in 86, not that I expect the latter to make any difference.

Yes, I know, and the only reason I couldn’t apply for a WARP was because I have a TdSS. I’m assured that I can apply for a WARP when I give up the TdSS, noting @Stella’s comment that it’s in the gift of the prefecture as to whether they agree.

Not at all, my spouse is an EU citizen so it’s not a huge issue but I would prefer to have status on my own merits if possible plus the earlier comment about legacy UK rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.

As you say, just about nice to haves rather than the end of the world.

1 Like