11 May moving to France - possible Deconfinement clarification - updates

How much notice they will take of the scientific council remains to be seen - their advice on schools reopening seems to be being ignored.

Bit I hope we get some clarity from him, although not expecting much detail since they won’t want to give the deputies anything too substantial to vote on to keep it smooth.

Eurotunnel is operating, as is Eurostar. The issue is permission to travel.

1 Like

Yesterday, I booked ferry crossings to Caen with Brittanny - their most flexible tickets. They are for September. If we don’t make it over until then, we will be very hard pressed by the (current) transition plan. I will closely monitor France’s border controls in the hope we can go earlier. I thought it wise to buy a reasonably realistic crossing sooner rather than later as there’s sure to be a scramble.

2 Likes

I think you are being very optimistic in your belief that things will burst back to life. Recovery is likely to be a slow process.

2 Likes

Well David I am not as you believe very optimistic. I would rather be in the position of having the physical means of getting to France ie a ferry booking should travel be made possible by our governments.
If we didn’t have a government so obsessed by Brexit, life would be much less complicated and stressful.

2 Likes

Travel companies are being a bit naughty IMO, no one knows when restrictions are going to be lifted yet they are now taking bookings (and your dosh) for the middle of next month which is way too optimistic, lets see how easy it is to get your money back when the crossings are cancelled.

It’s not one government, it’s two. We have been told that life in France will return to the new normal slowly. It’s a time for patience.

I use Google translate to do all my correspondence with people not speaking/understanding both languages.

Quote ’ It’s a time for patience’
Well David it’s absolutely fine for you to talk about patience with the Brexit clock ticking! We are talking about ruined dreams or at the least a future with less disposable income having to pay all healthcare expenses.

1 Like

How is it alright for me to talk? I too have restrictions that affect my everyday life and future plans. I’m just being realistic.

@MichaelL
@anon57427786

Please chill just a little… everyone is feeling stressed for their own good reasons.

cheers

1 Like

It’s not a case of chilling. I am one of several people who is trying to encourage people to have a look at the online system. Too many people have been put off even looking at it through misinformation.
What is your reason for not doing your tax return online?

David… I have asked you to chill re your conversation with Michael Lakeman.

(If you wish to discuss Tax stuff, I suggest you look at those threads.) :blush:

cheers

2 Likes

I completed a form on the Ryanair website for a refund of the flight we booked some time back to return from Perpignan in May. I think it will be a minor miracle if they pay up.

We are not taking any bookings, although we had one optimistic person wanting to book in July.
I cannot see cross border travel happening for some time to come.

1 Like

Our biggest rental client has been inundated by French enquiries in the last couple of weeks, he’s already full but all his confirmed bookings are from Brits so if they can’t come he should be able to fill most of these from the new enquiries.

You should get your money back Michael but you may have to wait a bit. We’re in a similar situation with Disneyland Paris, just have to be patient.

I thought the UK-France border was actually still open as (for the moment) it is considered an internal EU border.

So, if you have a valid excuse you could still travel - admittedly valid reasons are few and far between at the moment.

We’re still hoping we will be able to get to the house this year - but if it is before September I will be surprised.

Don’t forget, the UK does not want to get dragged into EU bailouts, a very significant cost if we extend the transition period.
Personally I would love it if we did, but can see the financial dangers.

We negotiated a specific exclusion from EU bailouts following the last financial crisis IIRC.