2021 spring and summer

Especially as I’d done the cleaning and made up all the beds!

1 Like

Yes it is tough and after you take care of everything and pay everyone is there much left to spend on chocs and chinz. But it is a great way keep young.

We used to do the same thing, juggling B&B too. The actual season ran from Paques to la Toussaint with a peak in summer and occasionally we had a Christmas/New Year booking. It was hard work but great fun meeting (most of) the people, both British and otherwise. I do miss the contact. The money was handy as we didn’t have a pension at that time. Of course there was no Covid to worry about in those days. I have great admiration for all those of you having to prepare gites and rooms in these conditions.

1 Like

We have now dumped pretty much all of our UK marketing/advertising, much prefer to have French, Dutch or Belgian guests. We didn’t do too badly this season, were fully booked July to end of September, certainly a lot better than we thought it might be in May :blush:. Changeovers, covid protocols etc were a bit of a PITA though.

Oooh no - I couldn’t be doing with B&B!!! It’s one of the joys of having paying guests in the gite down at the bottom of the garden. Friends used to wander up and say what are we doing today and expect coffee / tea / toast. The gite guests keep themselves to themselves. As you may have gathered, OH and I are not great at breakfast communication! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Where are you located Marc.

There’s only me to pay! So that saves a bob or two.

taxes…Sue pay all the taxes…that is paying everyone.

In la Creuse (23) profonde

If I ever set up in hospitality it’ll be gîte rather than chambres d’hôte for exactly that reason, Sue :wink:

Still have this vague idea of gîtes and cycling holiday mixed guiding people up and down the Pyrénées… one day…retirement plan…perhaps… on verra !

2 Likes

I’ll post this here but it may need to be put elsewhere. It may not affect too many on SFN but it does have implications for Brit based gite owners -

• Les résidents fiscaux britanniques affiliés au régime de sécurité sociale britannique qui perçoivent des revenus fonciers de la location d’immeubles situés en France ou réalisent des plus-values liées à la cession de biens immobiliers situés en France seront à compter du 1er janvier 2021 redevables des prélèvements sociaux français au taux de 17,2%.

Translated -

British tax residents affiliated to the British social security system who receive land income from the rental of buildings located in France or realize capital gains linked to the sale of real estate located in France will, from 1 January 2021, be liable for French social security contributions at the rate of 17.2%.

This came from an Avocats site.

1 Like

So if you are Irish or Dutch and paying your taxes in lets say Holland this tax applies.
This is a direct hit at the Brits and a retaliation against Brexit.
But it does not apply to Brits who pay their tax in France…or does it.

This came from an Avocats site.
[/quote]

Isn’t that just bringing them into line with other third country nationals ?

Please will someone make it very plain what is meant by

British Tax Resident

As there is quite possibly a misunderstanding… between folk :thinking:

As I read it this should only apply to UK tax residents who rent out their houses here and submit French tax returns (in my experience most Brits don’t). Further if they sell the house they will now pay the full social charges rate of 17.2% on any profit (after the various allowances have been taken into account).

The only potential grey area is the wording ‘affiliated to the British social security system’ which could also mean it applies to S1 holders living here.

Could any S1 holders who have gites here confirm whether they pay social charges on their gite income at present.

Yes it is so not unexpected.

These are stressful times…

Perhaps someone could investigate and come back with a definitive answer.

Don’t want any of us immigrants panicking, unnecessarily. :wink: :roll_eyes:

and if it does mean us … “Brit immigrants”… will the WA bit on our carte de Sejour, which already gives us extra “rights”… be any help in this situation…

(this doesn’t affect me personally, but it could well affect many of us…)

1 Like

Yes there is enough misery in the money dept for those of us who are not wealthy.
If we sell our property there is no fear of capitol gains. It would be to rest the paws and take the last look at this beautiful country and then say goodbye to the paper chain. Filing blood test results at 90 and refusing disgusting hospital food is far too sad.

We are French residents and we pay tax and social charges on our gîte income. Because we have our S1 we don’t pay social charges on our pensions. But we do on all other income.

My reading of this is that it is just reflecting the fact that British non-residents in France who have income from property that is in France are no longer European. So will be treated like any other non-Europeans.

And shows how precious our WA rights are!

(The british owned gite that we have just stayed in did not charge us taxe de sejour, their website had no mentions legales, no siret number and no line on bill with the TVA exemption. It does make me annoyed…)

1 Like

yes probably. But it mentions BRITISH…only