2023 Scam warning

A timely warning that the scammers are all over social media to divert donations intended for victims of the recent earthquake in Turkey

It is always best to make donations online only via the charity official websites and never clicking on a link in social media, email or text.

It is appalling that genuine sympathy for the victims of this tragedy are being diverted to some unspeakable people.

P.S. followers of the AI art thread will note that AI is still bizarrely creating human images with six fingers. I wonder if this is an intentional fault written into the original program?

OH has had two emails in the last 24 hours purporting to be from the government asking her to pay a 35E parking fine. Given that sheā€™s not had a parking ticket and the email doesnā€™t contain any other information ie car reg, date, place etc itā€™s clearly a scam.

1 Like

They send the ammend by post, not phone or email and you have a time in which to send your payment. Clearly a scam if you receive such demands not on official paper and can verify you were in the sector mentioned on that date.

If youā€™re not expecting it, thereā€™s a 99% chance itā€™s a scam.

Make that 1000% if the text or email claims to be from the police or judiciary. If they want to talk to you, people in blue uniforms will be knocking on your door.

The email client in iThings lets you look at the email address without opening the email itself so you can safely check if the address and domain are legit.

If the email does appear legit, you can play Super Safe by not clicking any links and visit the website mentioned manually to see what messages your espace client may have waiting for you.

1 Like

When I get an email which Iā€™m not sure about, I click on the link to its website and then copy and paste the first few notable sentences from the website into a browser, with an added word, ā€˜anarqueā€™.

Works for me.

1 Like

I just admit, Is never click on a link in an email unless I was absolutely sure it was genuine. Much better to type the address in manually.

Better still, ā€œarnaqueā€ā€¦

1 Like

Yes, thankyou. Must brush up! It wasnā€™t a typo.

Iā€™m awlays tranpsosing letters.

Iā€™m well protected by my virus software which steps in immediately and prevents a malicious website from opening if I click on its link.

Iā€™ve noted that when I misspell a word in English or French, Google usually corrects it!

Google corrected itā€¦

Just thought Iā€™d share this hereā€¦ this personā€™s flight was cancelled so he looked up the airlineā€™s number on Google and almost got scammed due to Google Maps having the incorrect number. Seems itā€™s not just Delta thatā€™s being targeted (and that Google are not spotting).

https://twitter.com/Shmuli/status/1680669938468499458

If you donā€™t use or like Twitter then hereā€™s the entire thread in a much more easy-to-read formatā€¦

2 Likes

Now 2024, and the games continue

Agree.

Yeah, I wouldnā€™t do that. Javascript can inject trojans easily just by visiting a malicious website - even CSS can be used to vector malware.

At the very least disable Javascript.

2 Likes

Talking of scam warnings, this was published on another forum by one of the members today:

Many of us will have received a scam email that starts with the scammer introducing themselves, often alleging to be an official of a government or a company.

The email then says there is a large amount of money which they are willing to transfer to you. The reasons can be they have found you are a long lost relative of a person who has died, or they themselves are prevented from taking money out of their country because of the political climate and they want your help to do so.

Mrs T has just received a scam of this type.

The differences are she did not receive the scam by email, but by letter and it was addressed to her by name, both first and last name.

The alleged address of the sender, as shown on the letter, is in Kowloon, but the letter was posted in the UK. The only thing I can read from the postmark is it says, ā€œRoyal Mail Home Counties Northā€.

The scam type is that someone, who has no next of kin, has died(in an earthquake in 2009) and the scammer is proposing the transfer the funds to Mrs T because her surname is the same as that of the deceased person.

The interesting thing is the full name of the ā€˜deceasedā€™ person is the same as our son.

Clearly it is a scam but interesting that it arrived by letter, is allegedly from Kowloon but was posted in the UK, addresses Mrs T by name and includes the name of our son.

I used Google street maps and Google to look at the address in Kowloon and it appears to a block where offices can be rented.

Getting the full name and address is probably not that difficult but to be able to use the name of our son appears virtually impossible. It could be a coincidence but the chances of guessing the first name of our son seems very low.

It seems the names and addresses used came from the electoral register - easy to access and providing real data - and which lent a touch of credibility to an otherwise unlikely story.

An actual letter, just like the old days :blush: