2024 Declaration of Worldwide Income

I plan to get my figures together this weekend… well… that’s the plan :wink:

I do the paper return… due in by 20th May 2024

1 Like

Why paper Stella, online is easy and you obviously have a computer and know how to use the internet😂

as I’ve explained in previous year… I now find it easier on paper… (as do many others)

I have always had paper because its already filled in for me to confirm and sign and rturn by LRAR. I did both last year because of the move. For the declaration of UK state pension, do you have to get a seperate page and you just put down the amount you receive in the bank??

Goes in box 1AL along with any other france taxable pension. Online? Select annex pensions etc.

Have you previously had sterling income to convert to euros? The prevailing wisdom I believe is to stick to the method you use - not to chop and change. If it’s your first time choose your method - either use the actual receipts in the bank, the UK sterling value converted using the rate given by the Impot or some use the rate at the start and end of the year averaged (which last year was pretty much the rate reported by ‘the connection’.

What conversion rate / method are you going to use Stella?

There’s only a little which is in £££ so I can use the rate for the day of each transaction …
or else I’ll look for the official “annual” rate… for the total £££.

In the past, I’ve not found the two methods are much different for my amounts. but like to err on the side of caution…

So I basically just add up all the pension payments that arrived in my french bank account direct from the UK. I wouldn’t know what the amount in sterling is before they send it anyway. I am well under any french tax threshold so not worrying about tax.

Has the window for declaring tax actually opened?

I’m sure they sent me a paper form last year - is it time for me to ask them to send this year’s one?

They will send it to you when they’re ready to, you dont need to ask.

1 Like

As and when someone finds out what is the “official” exchange rate to Euros from Pounds that Impôts is using this year, can you please post.

I convert the year’s figures at that flat rate for my declaration instead of the less workable approach of actual rate experienced on each transfer. Either approach is valid but I prefer to make sure to use whatever is reported here as the rate France Impôts uses as standard for the year.

1 Like

Yes, for the year and include any France pension payments too. Sorry you don’t get enough to pay tax - but al least you don’t pay tax! If it was 2 euro’s to the pound maybe that might be different :slight_smile:

1 Like

My method since I got here is to use the average of the BDF / ECB rate at the start and end of the tax period. That method was highlighted to the tax inspector when we first arrived, albeit it was for the 1 month in our first France tax year (December). Last year the calculation gave me 1.1572 which was pretty much the same as the connexion rate posted last year.

This year I get

BDF 2 Jan 23 0.8863
BDF 29 Dec 23 0.8691
Average

which is a bit less than the ECB average over the whole year of 1.1497

It’ll be interesting to see what the connexion / impot figures posted this year are.

1 Like

@Shiba

Apologies, just realised I have made an error, your UK state and other pensions taxable in France tax go in box 1AM, not 1AL.

1AL is for pensions not taxable in france and given a credit equal to the France tax. These are ‘government’ pensions such as local authority, civil service, teachers (I think) etc.

And when I said add any France pensions to the figure that’s wrong too (but wouldn’t result in a different result). The authorities would of course know France pension amounts and pre-report it in the return in the appropriate box. Doh.

Sorry for my error - which nobody else seemed to spot?

:wink: not got my Forms yet, so not checking anything anyone says… at the moment…
Thanks for this newest info though… :+1:

The forms do change a bit each year, so all has to be double checked.

This is our first year - do we wait to be contacted or instigate it ourselves? We don’t have numéros fiscales yet…

No, you take the initiative. You have to start by opening an account which you can do in person or using online form.

https://www.toutsurmesfinances.com/impots/comment-declarer-ses-impots-pour-la-premiere-fois.html?fbclid=IwAR2deoUCDhNRk_7bcG7LCrKdMzZE1-NMksPPWXTuIdvaOvPizC2YcOlKUA8_aem_AakLGnHfrIw2_kH87wBVqwJUz7ZDr_VRd-rfuC8GDqWghN_vz0I_0VdmvXB6kW_0jkc

If you want to “declare” in person… you can telephone to make an appointment with your local Service des Impots Particulier. (SIP) …
or simply “turn up” and join the queue on certain days… (take passport/proof of address and all financial documents…) and be prepared to wait… and wait.

a quick check beforehand will tell you if this personal, face to face service is available in your locality.

In my area, it certainly still seems popular with all age groups… and nationalities.

Don’t worry, it has been corrected in my impôts information book I add things too. Its my first time declaring UK state pension and french pensions so want to just give them all the details although they will have the french side already as they have previous years for reversion etc.

It’s also possible that the Impôts may insist on the completion of a paper tax return for the first year, together with a meeting to go through and/or complete the return. In past years, a notice has appeared if you try to file online the first time, directing you to obtain paper copies to complete. I don’t know if the Impôts vary this approach from year to year, but I’ve found it to be the case for the last year or two.

1 Like