4g box and windy weather

It’s very blustery here in the Dordogne with high winds forecast. Should I unplug my 4g box or will it be ok if there is a sudden power cut?

If it’s that SFR one, doesn’t matter - power cut won’t hurt it, it may just take a minute to reconnect when power comes back. In general, actually, it doesn’t matter much.

(source: 1 SFR 4g box, 1 Bouygues Telecom DSL box, 3 computers, 2 media center boxes, 3 laptops - yes I work in IT, why? :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

It’s a Bouygues box. Thanks, I won’t worry.

You only need to worry about unplugging it if there is lightning around. If you get a UPS, you don’t have to worry about temporary power outages.

2 Likes

I don’t turn stuff off for electrical storms, frankly surfing the 'net is the best thing to do when it’s p***ing it down outside.

Not much survives a direct strike, lightening takes the path of least resistance - but what 10-100,000,000 volts considers the path of least resistance can be counterintuitive :thinking:

You are mostly interested in protecting yourself against surges on the mains caused by ground strikes close to wiring (for a direct strike on the feed to your house see above) - if you live in an area which is susceptible to a lot of electrical storms you can do that with surge arrestors on the incoming mains and telephone cables.

1 Like

Even if your ISP provided 4G box / router blows up, there are lots of reasonably priced alternatives out there - often better than the original!

1 Like

That includes the surfer.

There’s certainly the potential (geddit?) for that to happen :wink:

1 Like

I was going to continue the pun chain but I just realised I have nothing… let me try this again after some coffee.

2 Likes