Eager to improve your French? American Woman In France did some digging, and found these excellent and FREE ways for you to learn and/or improve your French:
- Get a virtual language buddy! Scores of exchange sites are popping up online, and this is great for you! At sites like Rosetta Stone’s Shared Talk, LiveMocha, The Mixxer, score a language buddy and then set up a regular Skype session to get exchanging. Talk and type for extra learning. X
- The magic of FrenchPod.com. This is a free website with podcasts covering basic French language that’s easy to learn for beginners. It’s even pretty entertaining. X
- BBC Language—French. Jam-packed with basic French, interactive videos and tools, quizzes and loads of neat phrases, etc. Pretty cool and complete material, especially for being free! Great for beginners X
- Twitter! Yup, it’s everywhere, and can help you learn French! There are several people who send out a French word-of-the-Day/Mot du Jour. Just do a quick Google or Twitter search and follow anyone who tickles your fancy. Try to use the word in a sentence that same day to start building vocabulary. X
- Memrise.com. This site is like a magical land of tools and tricks to help you learn French easily. Choose your level, and have fun learning with flashcards. Even get context-specific materials. X
Spend the weekend emerged in French! Have a friend who is fluent or more advanced than you? Plan to fun activities and speak only French the entire time.