90 days out of 180 allowed in France

there was a time when I was sure, I thought, I knew… exactly what it was all about… :thinking:

by the time folk have wandered here and there and my thoughts have (possibly foolishly) followed theirs… I find I am completely confused… :thinking: :woozy_face: :roll_eyes: :rofl: :rofl:

never mind… it’ll all come out in the wash… what goes around, comes around…

2 Likes

The problem is Grahame has convinced himself that France are being deliberately awkward in not giving him what he wants, he will not be persuaded otherwise so it’s best to just leave him to rant, of course alternatively we could just take the mickey out of him instead. :grinning:

7 Likes

Don’t forget, he is trying to save the planet, one sheet of paper at a time😁

7 Likes

Don’t forget to not print off his emails :joy:

1 Like

“the problem” is that he has almost convinced me… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:… but not quite… :roll_eyes: :hugs: I’m hanging onto my sanity by the skin of my teeth…

It’s been a long week and my brain is in meltdown… Happy Saturday… Happy Weekend…

I think it would be heard to get a CdS Resident Permanent card given the OP is not resident at the moment. According to the English pages kindly provided by the French government applications for CdS open October 1st, and you have to apply before July 1st 2021. https://brexit.gouv.fr/sites/brexit/accueil/vous-etes-britannique-en/droit-au-sejour-en.html

Hi Vivien…

Gay has the chance to get in the loop… but that chance needs to be grabbed now (in my opinion)… I’m sure I read in the gouv fr stuff that being here and setting things in motion by 31/12/20 was going to give the best results… and yes, Gay does have until July 1st 2021 to apply…

if she is here, setting residency “in motion”… CV et al… by the end of the year… that is what I am talking about… she will (I think) have the right to gradually mount up the years of French residency towards getting that all important CdS Permanent Resident…

phew… it is very convoluted… but the nub is… 31/12/20 is a very important date… :hugs: :hugs:

Gabriella, I feel for you, but that’s what those voting for Brexit want. They don’t want people to be able to enjoy the delights of living and working in other countries, they don’t want to share cultures. They want to wallow in their own, independent misery, ruled by overprivileged toffs who care little for the population they are supposed to serve. Until UK either falls apart or realises the error of its ways and rejoins the EU, I’m afraid you are stuck!

But I am an EU citizen and what the EU27 are proposing is fewer rights than third nation citizens are allowed.

The EU27 are not treating us as ex-EU citizens with acquired and exercised rights and that is contrary to the principles of the EU and quite possibly contrary to EU and International law.

I have lived in France for 22 years, campaigned against the UK leaving the EU, denied a vote in the 2016 referendum, denied by the French Government the paperwork I am entitled to as an EU citizen and subject to comments such as yours.

If it weren’t for the fact that I love living in France, and passionately believe in the EU project I would consider that I was living in a hostile environment similar to the one the 3Million in the UK rightly complain about.

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

Catharine,

The Withdrawal Agreement does not guarantee UK citizens living in an EU27 state Freedom of Movement between the UK and those EU27 states.

Our FoM is restricted to the EU27 state we reside in and the UK.

For the 3Million in the UK there Freedom of Movement if between the UK and the totality of the EU27 not between the UK and their state of origin.

In addition the Withdrawal Agreement provides us with fewer rights than the EU grants to long-term third nation citizens in the EU and does not acknowledge that we will be former EU citizens.

It is contrary to the EU’s fundamental principles and quite possibly in breach of the EU obligations to us under EU and International law.

Grahame Pigney

Thanks for the clarification but for the 3 million in the UK - they are still EU citizens ! So I quite understand why they get different treatment.

actually Grahame… France will be acknowledging more than it needs to … for some of us… and you too by the sound of it…

I think I’ll/you’ll be getting the CdS Permanent WA which will give you/me more rights than those Brits who try to join after the umbilical cord is cut… :thinking:

1 Like

Of course COVID has nothing to do with BREXIT but can I just have a vent? I hate the phrase PROJECT FEAR made up by Dominic Cummings to counter any arguments on what Brits would lose by leaving the EU. The Leave Campaign was very clever at keeping it simple ‘Take Back Control’ and later ‘Get Brexit Done’ and Project Fear is a genius piece of manipulation. None of their shit will affect me as I am resident in FRANCE but my children and grandchildren will not be able to be Europeans in the way I have and that saddens me.

5 Likes

The treatment is not only different it is also discriminatory.

We are all still EU citizens, the EU ignored this and thus breached the principles of the EU and thus EU law. It will have to be challenged in the courts and that is certain to happen and likely to be successful, provided the funding is there.

Grahame Pigney

No longer I’m afraid Grahame - no more so than an American, Australian or New Zealander living in France is an EU citizen.

We were  EU Citizens but unless you have taken nationality of an EU member state that ceased on 31st Jan 2020, there is no legal state called ex-EU Citizen with special rights attached.

4 Likes

Stella,

France might get round to acknowledging our fundamental rights as EU citizens, but it has failed to do so for many years now.

If it eventually gets round to acknowledging the very limited rights embodied in the WA in October that will be a small step forward.

But any UK citizen living in for 5 years or more is already entitled to a CdS UE Permanent and France has refused to supply that document. This is penalising people that want to work in France, people with bank accounts in France (as per the OP), let alone those who have bought properties in France in the expectation they would have unhindered access to that property and the ability to move there.

However, France and the EU27 in general are ignoring the fundamental rights that UK citizens with interests in the EU27 have acquired and exercised over the past decades.

This will inevitably be challenged in the courts (EU27, EUCJ and perhaps the ECtHR) in due course.

Grahame Pigney

Paul,

You have missed the point.

We are not third nation citizens. We are, even now EU citizens, and deserve to be treated as such, which is something the EU has ignored.

This is not just my assertion, it is something backed up by experts in EU administrative and constitutional law.

Grahame Pigney

So, a reference would be good.

3 Likes

Stella, we will start the application in October when the website opens and see where it leads us and make our judgements then
as to whether we can qualify and meet the expectations. We havent managed to be here as much this year as we got caught in the lockdown in the uk but should manage 3 months by December. We have 20 years of french tax returns and bills so have a good start.

Hiya! Please add your surname as per our T&C - cheers!
Cat x