A Danger to Democracy

A Select Committee of MP’s has produced a report which says that the tactics used by Vote Leave during the Referendum amount to a danger to democracy.
They strongly criticised the head of Vote Leave, who is already undergoing police investigation.
They also criticised large social media providers for allowing their platforms to be used by the promulgators of extreme views, scare tactics, hate messages and foreign interference in the democratic process.
What will it take to actually nullify the Referendum now we know how people were manipulated by Vote Leave.
We still hear from the rabid Brexiteers that Remain used scare tactics, but the reality has now been revealed by this report.

3 Likes

I bet you have something to say re UK democrazy(?)

Perhaps said Select Committee would also care to look at all the various claims made by Messrs Cameron and Osborne during the referendum campaign ?

It’s not really an earth-shattering revelation that politicians, especially Tories, tell lies - but there is a difference between this, which most people are alert to, and the shenanigans that went on in the Leave campaign, which extended to illegal funding, covert foreign interference (eg. we now know 35,000 pro-leave tweets actually originated in Russia), etc…

1 Like

Whilst you are just talking about the Lords, there have been MP’s who have had to resign from the Commons because of their bad behaviour.
In fact the Lords have been trying to change some of the worst Bills coming from the Commons. In fact, the Lords have been defending our democracy!

Mmmm…. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You’d think there would be criminal charges to follow but I’m not holding my breath…

2 Likes

Maybe they have and maybe they haven’t, but it is beside the point. They have no right to do so any more than if you and I and a few more of us here were magically given the same powers. It is called democracy, or rather, the absence of it.

This Mrs. Mone woman, who I have never heard of, what did she do in life that gave her access to such power as the Lords have?

I think she is supposed to have been very close to Boris.

Oh dear. Say no more. :roll_eyes:

Morning David

On the news last night, they stated that she has not voted in the Lords for the last 2 years.

Does she just turn up and claim her 320.00 and go home after a subsidised lunch.

Or am I being too cynical ?

You are certainly not.

And I would amend my reply to @Jane_Williamson , it is not the absence of democracy, it is worse than that, it is anti-democratic for the Lords to interfere with something the, at least partially democratic Commons, has decided upon.

Just look at what has happened in the States with Trump and his Republican majority and a plot being uncovered in Germany to try and overthrow the government.
The problem is that the Lords has been seen as just as a political gift, instead of being a reforming chanmber where the best minds in all walks of life provide a check to the poorly thought out proposed legislation coming from the Commons.

2 Likes

Precisely Jane, that is why it has to be replaced. I wonder when they’ll get round to making the Commons truly democratic too. My guess is never, given that whoever has the power to do so, got it by the current system. What we are looking for are honest politicians. Hen’s teeth come to mind. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Got to start with the commons.

Nothing will happen without the introduction of PR. Without that nothing else really matters

2 Likes

Made and sold bras. Created a business that was seen as the ‘plucky upstart’ rival to Gossard who were infamous at the time for the Wonderbra. Then presumably used the money she made from that to become a conservative supporter/ donor.

So she has always supported tits :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

I would love to, maybe to Outer Mongolia, I bet they would love one or three there. :smiley:

1 Like

she made, IIRC, a t-shirt bra or something similar.