A freak coupling

I stopped off to call in on recently arrived friends this morning, 2nd home owners, and, because I had seen them with a puppy not their usual dog, left Jules in the car under a tree.

The puppy, a Lab called Charlie, was very active jumping all over me and practising with his sharp little teeth, I didn’t need him though to remind me why I have never adopted a very young dog.

Jules used to come in and play with their old Lab who has sadly died since the last visit and they were both of a size and very active and enthusiastic in their play.

After a catchup over a cup of tea it was time for me to leave and we thought it might be an idea for the 2 dogs to meet in the open, both with cautionary leads on of course. All went well but they were going in ever decreasing circles which tangled the leads, and then their heads were very close. This caused a certain amount of growling on both sides with Charlie falling on his back and Jules on top. As Maggie and I tried to untangle them both we discovered that Charlie’s lead clip had become attached to Jules’ collar ring. :astonished:

With some difficulty we got them free and all was well, but it was the clip that caused it. Not the one where you pull it back against a spring with your thumb, as Jules’ has, but a quick connector where a spring resisted lever is forced open with pressure. Obviously in the melee, this had been pushed against the ring. Would never have thought this could happen and a very good job both dogs are of an amiable temperament. :joy: