A free and opensource computer workshop day in the Deux Sevre

I have been toying with this idea for a while, where I can give some more time to the open source community that has given me so much.

So, who would be interested in an open day, where people can bring along their computers for me, and a few like minded helpers to either help fix, or install Ubuntu Linux?

I’m also not closed minded enough not to help people with Windows problems as well, but that will require people to bring their own media. The price though is I get to show you how good Ubuntu really is.

I could also demonstrate how to set-up and use virtual software, and how this can be used to migrate away from windows ( if you are thinking about it ) - for free.

Although there is another side to this, specifically servers, I think that would be too much for just one day.

I will hold it at chez Cod, which is in the deux sevre, which might be a problem in itself for some SFN users, but I can’t think of another choice really.

We would obviously make it a fun day , and have the odd glass of wine or two, but I shall try to remain sober until near the end :wink:

Thoughts everyone, I’m open to all and every suggestion on this topic. I think dates will be important, probably the end of September, so parents will have had time to get their children back to University, Lycee or college.

Regards

Nick

Look forward to seeing you there Jo.

Regards

Nick

I’d be interested, it sounds like “community vv’s microsoft”, a fun game for all those with a penchant for surviving on hardly any money. Fabulous idea.

Thank you very much for the pointer, and good luck for the workshop!
Rosemary

Look for a repository call Ubuntu-restricted-extras, it will include the css code you need to de-crypt DVD’s

Here’s a link on how to do it

Restricted formats

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick
That´s a great idea, and personally I´d love to find out about attaching photos and sorting out why we can´t get software to run DVDs on Ubuntu 10.10 on our Sony Vaio! However, like several others, I´m in the South West (Toulouse) and wouldn´t be able to get up to see you. Perhaps this could be an excuse to bring you down to us?! Let me know how this develops. . .
Have fun at the workshop!
Rosemary

Exactly what I need, Nick, and I’d love to come but it would mean six hours driving each way so regrettably it’s just not practical.

What a fantastic suggestion - thanks Nick.

Cheers Steve , that will be really useful.

Nick

Terrific idea Nick.
Unfortunately I’m 6-7 hours drive away in SE Tarn so not practical for me which is a shame because I would love to pick your brains about Linux.

Good Luck,

Rog.

Excellent Idea!
I will attend too!

What a super idea ! yes, Nick I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed, but would like to know more about uploading photos etc, as my camera is microsoft, and I had to buy a card reader to install my photos, but it’s a big palaver to attach them to include in e-mails. So when you have arranged a date please let me know. I live in Sud Vendee, and it’s not far from where you live. Regards to you and Helen