A sack of sweet chestnuts

Need some cooking tips for sweet chestnuts.
Neighbour dropped off a sack of chestnuts in exchange for the figs they helped eat.
I only ever had them roasted over a fire at the christmas market… or tinned to use with sprouts.
What to do with them?

I made a bûche once: the filling was creamed chestnuts, but I don’t have a recipe.

I remember it was a chore to peel them, but I have since then learned there are ways of making that easier.

Marrons glacés? That would also make a nice Christmas gift.

1 Like

For that I have to get them shelled first…
Our woodburner is not a hotplate and I dont really want to ruin my glass cook top…

I had a go at this one year… lots of hassle and although the end result was tasty enough, it wasn’t enough to make me go through that all over again… :wink:

I have bought artisanal marrons glacés… cheaper in the longrun and just as tasty… :wink:
or…
cooked and in with brussels, delicious
chestnut cake is something I’ve eaten at a friend’s… delicious too…

Maybe try boiling? See here:

2 Likes

@Bettina already has the chestnuts!

1 Like

Thanks Sue, this is a great link. Will try to use some of the bounty…

1 Like

I know… I was explaining that having gone the 4-day+ route to make my own… I decided it’s not worth it… and buy artisanal ones… :roll_eyes: :wink:

We score tbe tops and pop in oven. Then peel when hot.

Make nut loaves, and a puree to use in desserts/cames (peeled chestnuts in milk with vanilla bean, sugar to taste, simmer 30 minutes and blitz,)

1 Like

And lardons :blush:

2 Likes

Chestnuts work well with pork or veal, either as a sauce or stuffing for roasted meat or as left whole in a stew - often with chorizo, and often cooked in red rather than white wine.

As several people have noted above, they also combine well with most autumnal veg, either cooked whole separately (maybe in milk?) or as a garnish, cooked and chopped before serving. Good too with cèpes and poitrine fumé.

2 Likes

I’m trying to remember whether or not we steamed a load once in a pressure cooker, and then shelled them…that would save you burning things

1 Like

looks like I have my work cut out if I want to use this gift… find sharp knife, try roasting, boiling and steaming. then peel them all while still hot.
I will let you know how I get on and if there are any differences in flavour … but seems so much easier to buy a tin

4 Likes

They do taste better than tins, don’t have that slight musty flavour. But scoring and peeling is a bit of a chore. Invite a couple of friends around a bottle of wine in return for chestnut paté and purée!

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I only ever buy pre-prepared jars of them these days :rofl:

1 Like