A simple question about FaceBook

I’ve mentioned before I think my problems with FB when, for mysterious reasons, I have ended up with no less than 3 pages in my name all with different rights. For instance, the one I use as my main page, the original, will not let me make posts, the last one I could was back in December of last year. But it is the one which lists all of my ‘friends’, the other 2 vary between 2, and zero.

I discovered some time ago that if I drop a menu down in No.1 I can create a post, but it only appears in No.2.

Last week I made my 3-monthly visit to my lady barber. She always listens to my instructions and then cuts it, while chattering away, exactly as she thinks fit. I enjoy the chat and put up with the fact that 1 month out of 3 my hair and beard (she qualified to be allowed to touch that along with my eyebrows some years ago) are not precisely as I envisaged.

But this time she got it right. Not that she followed instructions but that I am quite pleased with the result. As many of you know my life at home is full 7/7 with beautiful women and the way I cope with this terrible affliction is that, the French ones at least (that’s all but 3), always notice and compliment me on my appearance. Leave aside Marie-Neige’s joke about being caught between 2 camions (it is a bit short at the sides) all have said how much younger it makes me look. Think going from @billybutcher to a much more shorn style. :grinning:

So where was I? Almost lost the thread there, yes, I want to change my profile picture on my No.1 page to this new fresh faced Spardo. Tried almost everything, pushed every button. All to no avail. I managed to create it on my No.2 page but that was because a picture was absent there completely before.

Before I have to go through another agonising call with my daughter, who changed her own just a week or so ago, and while I wait for my techie son to return to Western Europe awake time, does anyone here have any idea? :slightly_frowning_face:

Make sure you’ve got your new, handsome photo on your computer somewhere and you know where it is. I tend to put stuff like that on the Desktop.

When I open Facebook, I have a picture of myself top right, my profile picture.

I click on that picture and it takes me to my profile page, which shows my profile picture lower left.

I click on my profile picture (lower left) and I get three options, the middle of which is Update profile picture.

If I click on Upload profile picture, I get a list of options, the first of which is + Upload photo.

If I click on + Upload photo, it opens a window from which I can choose my photo. If you’ve put your photo on your Desktop, then you need to navigate there to find it.

So do I now, since I made it my profile picture on the No.2 page, but the old one still stubbornly stays in the main profile, even after doing as you do and highlighting and choosing the new one.

I could use the No.2 page all the time I suppose but it doesn’t have all my ‘friends’ on it. Only 2, one of which is also on the No. 1 page.

Are there any real people running that outfit, or are they all robots? I even tried the help page and put in the single word ‘profile’. It didn’t even recognise that. :astonished: :rofl:

Try ‘Avatar’.

1 Like

One of the problems I have found with much of life online is the requirement that users have to fit their behaviour to the requirements of the online service. This is a logical consequence of its being a machine-based system, but frustrating all the same.

So, while I might expect Facebook, for example, to work in a certain way, in fact it works in an entirely different way and I must learn how it works in order to get it to do what I want.

Much the same as I’d do for a French tax official, or someone from the Mairie!

1 Like

Same old same old:

We didn’t find anything
Try different keywords or make sure that everything is spelt correctly.

@Porridge Yes indeed. I have an ongoing problem with Amazon at the moment. I have always thought that a good product should be praised and a less good one should have a suitable evaluation. But no, time after time after making the effort to be truthful and grammatical, especially in French, my replies get turned down as not conforming in some way or another. What way that is I have no idea because they do not explain. Although I know they will take no notice I have written to them saying that further requests for evaluations will go straight in the bin.

To that end I have just taken delivery of a really excellent product from Germany via Amazon.fr. Only problem was it needed an engineering degree to put it together and, after checking I realised that it could have been sent out assembled in almost the same packaging but about 20 cms wider.
I have refused to reply to Amazon but emailed the vendor directly giving them my reasons, my praise, and my suggestion. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m not sure I follow. Do you mean you have three different accounts? With three different email addresses?

I have an old account I created many, many years ago. Then my partner and I created a new joint account when we moved to France, specifically so we could find info about the area, etc… without it affecting my old network. But they’re completely separate accounts with different passwords and different email addresses, etc…

Tbh I thought it may be 1 account, but with a profile (as in the normal thing) and perhaps that somehow a page (as used by businesses etc) or two has been created. For work purposes we have accounts that own the pages, then also other users are given access to run/ post to the pages, and as I understand it it can become incredibly confusing whether you’re on your personal profile, the profile that owns the business page, or the page itself, and you can toggle between them all. I don’t’do’ facebook so I only ever log in via the account that owns the page if I need to see the stats etc, but those who have a personal account themselves can go between all the different accounts/ pages from their 1 login. I wondered whether this was what had happened with @David_Spardo, if somehow he’d ended up with profiles, pages, and accounts all doing different things.

1 Like

Ahh, yes, very possible. Good suggestion. Perhaps worth checking this, David.

No. I have 3 accounts, all with the same name and same email addresses. I only applied for one and discovered the others by accident some time ago after I noticed that I was no longer able to make new posts on my main, No.1, account
The only thing common to all accounts, apart from my name, are the fact that I can message people in all of them and the messages are shared by them all.
The whole thing appears to have started several months ago when without warning my account was closed permanently for ‘breaching community guidelines’. I had no idea what that was but before I could enquire (of course you can’t) it was re-installed without explanation.
I can’t change that profile picture but, bizarrely, the new one appears on my No.1 account in the top right hand corner, although the old one is still, stubbornly, my profile.

I wouldn’t care because I only use it for messaging but all but one of my previous ‘friends’ have disappeared from No. 2, and one, who is genuine and I want to keep, accompanies my son on that one.

@kirsteastevenson I can’t go easily from one to the other. The only way is to put my name into the searching box top left and see where I end up. Sometimes I end up where I want to be only after several attempts, made more difficult by the fact that they all have exactly the same name.

The only way I know whare I am is by the picture and the numbers of friends, different in all 3.

I’m not sure it’s possible to have different accounts with the same email address, which makes me wonder whether I am in fact right and it’s different profiles / accounts from one single account, but it really is complete guesswork and will probably only ever be solved by someone who knows what they’re doing actually having a look in-person, or just muddling on with things as they are. As I said facebook isn’t my thing anyway so I don’t know really why I’m sticking my oar in, even if it is with the best of intentions :sweat_smile::rofl:

The frustrating thing is that Facebook have no way to merge accounts - ostensibly because “our community guidelines stipulate that people have only a single account”.

Yes, well, no bloomin’ use if the accounts were generated accidentally, perhaps by FB itself throwing a digital wobble.

As Kirstea suggests you have created “Pages”. They share your login/password but don’t share friends. Facebook usually logs you back into the last one you used.

Follow the link to Pages and you should see the other 2.

1 Like

Yes, I’m inclined to agree with @kirsteastevenson and @chrisell, and think you may want to explore this further.

What happens if, when logged in, you click the icon for your account (in the top right corner)? Do you see an option “Voir tous les profils”? If so, what do you see when you click that?

Since I uploaded that picture, the one I want to replace the old one as my profile, it suddenly appeared in my main account, No.1. But only in the top right hand corner. I can click on it and find a profile option and the new pic is the only one displayed. So I select that and confirm but it makes no difference, the old one is still the profile picture.

It has been suggested that I click on the main profile picture, or my name alongside it, but either nothing happens or all I get is a larger version of the unwanted photo.

It wouldn’t bother me as the main use I have for FB is the messenger system which is the only thing common to all the pages. In the early days I used to make posts, mainly updating news on dogs, but can no longer do that on No.1 which is a nuisance, no more. But if I was to use No. 2 instead, where I can make posts, I would have to go back to No.1 if I wanted to contact a friend that I haven’t previously, or recently, messaged.