A Trick Question: The Immigration Fonctionnaire v. The Immigration Attorney

(Roland SALVATO) #1

Here is a question for Americans and other non-EU visitors and residents in France:

The immigration officer was moonlighting, and the immigration attorney was charging $100 an hour. They were each asked "How much income does a non-EU resident have to demonstrate to be able to live in France?" One answered "Minimum wage, about €15,000 for a couple." The other answered "About €40,000, or €20,000 for each person."

In both cases, the immigrant/visitor would have two choices of visa: Commercant or Retired.

Who said what?

Who was right?

= )

(Jane Johnson) #2

The legal reply is that in order to live legally in France as a permanent resident the visitor must show evidence of an income equivalent to the SMIC (minimum wage) - I’m not being drawn into how much that is, but generally it’s about 10€ an hour, so at 140 hours a month is about 1500€). But this is not the case for handicapped or retired people, who must show the equivalent of the AAH Allocation Adulte Handicape, or ASPA Allocation de Solidarite pour Personnes Agees. (This is about 800€ a month).
My feeling is the Immigration Officer is the correct reference, being based in France and equipped with French guidelines. The attorney is probably an American national trying to facilitate the acquisition of French citizenship so he is erring on the side of caution in order to make the application more interesting for the French Immigration Officer, who only applies the rules and doesn’t make them.
A commerçant woud need to show a business gross income from which his or her salary would derive - so the 40 000 for a couple, or 20000 for a single person would apply to their business revenue. The retired applicant would need to show the level of Solidarite which is around 9000€ for a single person, 800€ a month.If they are dependant upon a person who already has French Citizenship, French Identity or is a permanent resident, they would need merely to be resident for 5 years without additional proofs of income ,

(Roland SALVATO) #3

This is great, Jane, you are astute.
I am preparing to begin the process of obtaining a ‘merchant’ visa for residence in France. How did you become familiar with this process.

(Ayman) #4

What will happened in case they discover that asylum seeker and who obtained the asylum already was holding legal living and work permission in another European country the moment he applied for the asylum, but it was with other nationality since he has two different nationalities?

(John Scully) #6

Who cares :slight_smile:

(Andrew Hendry) #7

Please Jane if you could send me a little more info on this subject… where do I apply… how do I apply… and finally how much would it cost… thanks in advance…Andy

(Roland SALVATO) #8

I received my merchant’s visa and have renewed once already for our second year of residence. Neither process was difficult, though it felt a bit like throwing it over the wall for its opaqueness.