Advice for an Apero Virgin

No, there won't be beer, Vincent, you're right. It's not a party as such. It's me wanting to bring neighbours together to get to know one another better over a drink and nibbles, hopefully with some laughter along the way. There wil be 11 invitees (two of whom may not come as the husband doesn't like me but he wants to 'get in' with the French neighbours so I'm not sure). Music would be purely background, audible only in the event of a complete stall in conversation. I just want them to feel welcome, enjoy some conversation and leave feeling happy they came.

Where do you live Vincent?

Talking of Dubonnet. Many moons ago I worked for a company in Paris that bought Dubonnet. Sales in West Africa were enormous, especially Nigeria. As a former "Coaster" le Directeur said "Barry connaĂźt bien L'Afrique" and off I went. The reason for the enormous sales was fairly soon evident - expectant mothers were having a tot morning and evening! Far be from I to have advised them otherwise - perhaps it was the Quinquina, perhaps it was the high natural sugar content. I ensured that sales continued to rise and was often able to come back to Paris with for orders for sixty plus 40 foot containers of Dubonnet! Needless to say we always have a bottle in cupboard and presently have a lady Parsons Jack Russell called Dubonnet!

Du beau, du bon, Dubonnet

Valerie, eleven is probably too many, and could cause "groups" to separate. I'd be inclined to drop three of the expats. If you have young children, make sure they are there to help. There's nothing like children to win friends, especially with the country French. That's why I always tell new blow-ins to take them, when they go to see the maire. If your French isn't great, one way to open conversation, is to mention something, then ask if a word if feminine or masculine. I do that all the time: never fails!

Catharine, my studio is in the Sud-Charente, just next to the border with the PĂ©rigord. It's just within the circle round Montmoreau-St-Cybard, which contains the most beautiful part of the department: so the French say.

Not many people, including some French, know the Charente, but it has some of the most prominent sites in France, which includes the bizarre Chñteau de la Mercerie, an enormous folly built in the twenties by two eccentric brothers, in an attempt to “rival Versailles”. They went bust, of course, like swallowing a horse!

The image only shows a part of the chĂąteau; the whole thing is 150 Ms long and attached to an earlier Gothic revival building.

The Dubonnet image is on a house in Chalais 16210

The way the houses in the immediate locality are positioned, to reduce the invites would be seen as a deliberate exclusion. I'd rather extend the invitation to all with the possibility a couple of people may decline due to being away etc rather than it be misconstrued. My 11 year old will be present and will participate in whatever way he feels comfortable, hopefully being my translator (although I may have to bribe him). Your area looks lovely.

DON'T use sirop de cassis for Kir - it will be hideously, appallingly sweet and lack the depth of flavour of crÚme de cassis. You need that strength because Kir is usually made with a fairly acid dry white wine (bourgogne aligoté), if you want a Kir royal use crémant de Bourgogne. You can make a Kir à la mûre with crÚme de mûres for a change.

Vincent,I have the very same poster,from when I worked on the Dubonnet advertising campaign in the 70,s.

Oh Listerine how completely wonderful, esp the bluish-green one - I am an addict & have always rather fancied a delicious glassful over crushed ice - alas I read the label & it says absolutely not to swallow it, so a bit tedious.

well after searching for advice here for what to expect when invited up the road for “drinks at 7pm” on Friday - I was all set for a couple of hours apero, but I found myself enjoying an evening with the 4 groups of “neighbours” (we are spaced out across a few km), that lasted till 1.30 in the morning and eating 5 courses - admittedly mainly small amounts (except a wonderful Tiramisu which was served to everyone in very generous quantities). My hosts had even taken great pains to provide a vegetarian option for each course! I am still reeling with amazement at the warmth of welcome, and how they are pleased we have chosen to live here - especially to be here permanently rather than a holiday home.
Will be taking up my handwritten thanks later on today.

3 Likes

What a wonderful evening! And if ever you’d harboured any doubts as to whether you’d chosen the right place to settle and enjoy French life, that must have firmly cemented the fact you chose well. Excellent.

Thank you, It seems to be a regular event (with the same person hosting as she has the biggest house), and the invitation is to be repeated when my husband is back from the UK too! At least I will be prepared next time and can take more of a food offering as some of the others did on Friday.

2 Likes

These get-togethers are not for the faint-hearted
:wink: 
 but are wonderful fun.

1 Like

Certainly so! My French isn’t too bad and keeping up with the conversations was quite hard work at times, but at least I am now up to date with some of the local gossip.

1 Like