AFD wanting to expel all residents of Foreign Origin

This would, of course, mean that our daughter and her husband, who is Austrian, would be forced to leave their home and jobs.
Obviously, this is a reminder of the 1930’s and we must hope that calls for this disgusting political party to be banned will come to fruition.
It leads to a concern as to just how far the RN would go in France if there was a successful model to follow.
There have been marches throughout Germany and today marches are being held in Berlin and Munich.
Let’s hope that Munich, especially, will have the streets full of protesters.

2 Likes

I thought that certain factions in 1930s Germany had a soft spot for certain Austrians.

On a serious note though - right wing attitudes to me seem to be based more on race than on country where the person is from. Disgusting either way.

1 Like

You probably need to be the ‘right’ Austrian to get approval. :roll_eyes:

Indeed.

If we assume that their list of 22 measures is what they would try to do there is some scary stuff including withdrawing the right of any foreigner to live in France if they have not worked for a year, destroying “islamic networks” (which feels a lot like it might be implemented by deportation), social care only for the French etc.

The problem is that there are all too many people who will read the list of aims and think them reasonable.

1 Like

Your daughter and her husband will have no problem, the AfD is much more concerned with brown and black immigrants and scroungers…
In the UK the same sentiments led to Brexit.
Germans have seen the result and are on the Streets.
I am currently in Frankfurt -65.000 instead of the expected 35.000- demonstrated yesterday. Other cities had the same outcome. Vast numbers are finally speaking up against right wing racism.

4 Likes

This is true of the RN as well, but once they’ve finished with those…

3 Likes

However, the wording used is those of non German origin.Our daughter has German citizenship, after Brexit, and our son in law relies on being a citizen of an EU country.

Indeed, as chillingly outlined by Pastor Martin Niemöller.

2 Likes

The numbers who are soeaking up against the AfD are rising.
A lot of apolitical Germans are waking up to the chance of a repeat of the 30’s and this time around are not ready to walk open eyed into another racist regime.
But there are sentiments of ‘we are over run’, no more space, etc
A simple question of : how would you feel if this immigrant was your child? usually gets a bit of a stutter.
Also as far headscarves are concerned - why is it that men are always telling us what to wear?
In Iran YOU MUST COVER YOUR HAIR, in France YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COVER YOUR HAIR,
In Germany ALL THESE WOMEN WEARING HEADSCARVES ARE THE CAUSE OF THE RISE OF RIGHT WING RACISM.
Just shut it - mostly white old men. Oggling a
Miniskirt but blaming a rape victim for wearing one

Rant over

5 Likes

Totally true.
Men at the head of all these warring nations.

1 Like

I have just finished reading Prophet Song by Paul Lynch which won the Booker Prize.
It is a dystopian work of civil war in Ireland and shows how important it is for us all to stand up and be counted, otherwise who will be there to help when they come for you.
The old old adage repeated and the end of the world is always happening somewhere.

Been there, done that. Took over eighty years and three generations for the division to heal.

I described it as a civil war, but really I suppose it should be called a take over by the extreme right.

1 Like

He seems a very successful author. I’l have to give him a go :slightly_smiling_face:

Just bought the audiobook. We’ll listen to it on the drive back home next month.