After midnight…

Interesting article on the ‘science alert ‘ website which warns of the dangers of the wee small hours.
I’m ok cos I’m tucked up in bed by 2300 but watch out you lot who burn the midnight oil.

2 Likes

IMO a complete load of tosh.

I’ve nearly always gone to sleep very late 1 or 2am.

If I go to sleep at say 10:30 - 11pm, then I’m awake at around 3am for a couple of hours.

4 Likes

me too nigel

Scientists need to bring us some good news soon or it’s going to be “Kidnapped scientist found alive with microscope inserted into rectum. Now here’s Angela with the weather where you are.”

4 Likes

Me three :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Me four.

I’ve always believed there had to be a bunch of us with an appropriate gene pool who stayed awake during the night otherwise how else were our cave families kept safe from marauding night-time sabre-toothed tigers? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m usually giving it Zzzzzzs from about 2305 so I have no idea what goes on until about 0600 the next morning.

I’m afraid it’s too late for me, from a tender age I was too influenced by JJ Cale :slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WUeOEkl270

2 Likes

Now, now NotaLot, you were warning me about road rage yesteday…! :slight_smile:

1 Like

early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise…

Pretty well everything I ever liked doing seems to have recently been discovered to have a negative impact on life expectancy. I guess living can damage your health :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Just the sort of smug comment made by boring people who leave parties early while the rest of us are just getting going. :grinning:

2 Likes

Having spent many years working a rotational three shift system of 6-2 earlies, 2-10 lates, and 10-6 nights, I can personally attest to the fact that there are ‘morning’ people, ‘daytime’ folks, and us night owls. I always hated the early shift and was happiest working nights, which I would happily have done as a permanence had it been possible. I never could really fathom how someone could arrive for work at 5.45am full of the joys of spring, whereas I always felt like death warmed up until at least 8.30am. I suppose it must be down to some inherent genetic difference in the same way that some folks are taller than others.

4 Likes

I too had a similar experience… I much preferred working night shifts. I would often switch shifts with colleagues on nights who, for their own reasons, wanted the night off. The world at night is a different place and the air so refreshed when going at home after 6am.

2 Likes

Years of getting up very early (4.30am) to study for endless professional exams, prior to setting out for work, when my mind hadn’t been dulled by hours of subsequent commuting and work, has meant that I can’t stop waking at the same time even 30+years later. I put the early start to good use now with piano and drawing practice…

2 Likes

I think we can safely say then that my original comments with attachment is a load of old cobblers ?
I would be sad to think I was missing anything !

1 Like

Two reactions:

1. Re: “ craving guilty pleasure”
    One thing I love about the French is there is no stigma attached to pleasure. Pleasure may be an objective in and of itself and its reward bestowed with complete prelapsarian innocence.

2. Particularly when it’s so hot, the cool of night is a pleasant moment to relax whilst awake, and a noon siesta to escape the sun equally rewarding.

2 Likes

Piano at 5am ! Your neighbours must be either very understanding, very deaf, very distant, or else enjoy Chopin in the mornings. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I worked as a a locum doctors driver a shift from 10 pm till 6 am always difficult to sleep in the day light hours. As a bus driver the early mornings starting at 3 am were great before 8 am people would say good morning and were friendly

@Robert_Hodge I agree it would be totally inconsiderate to my long suffering wife, dogs and neighbours to play my piano at that beautiful, early hour. Instead I play an electric piano - with headphones! The wonderful Normandy countryside can sleep in peace, as dawn breaks…