Age allowance

I am a little confused having just read something in the Connexion regarding the age allowance against income.

Income up to €16410 the allowance is €2620.
Between €16410 and €26400 the allowance is €1310
Above that level of income there is no allowance. All very clear.
I take it that is for one person.
If two people in a household are eligible then the allowance is doubled. Makes sense.
However, looking at last year’s income it appears the value of the joint income is not doubled.
Neither of us reached the first level income but we were only given that allowance for the joint income.
If we declared as individuals would we both have received the maximum allowance.

It is not an issue with me because we don’t receive enough income to pay tax anyway but I was just a bit confused and wondered why as I have never questioned this before.

are you both the same age ??

If in any doubt make an appointment at a non busy time with your local tax office and have a list of questions and a dummy tax form to go through.

1 Like

Both in our 80’s just a year apart, so we do qualify as pensioners at the moment. May change in the future with the age of retirement rising all the time.

1 Like

why not follow @vero 's suggestion… then you’ll be sure that all is well… :wink:

It’s not problem as we do not pay income tax. It is more a lack of understanding on my part or maybe a confusing article in the Connexion. (It has been known to confuse)

That’s why I thought getting the information straight from the horse’s mouth might make it clearer!

this is perhaps what the Connexion was talking about… it’s been raised by 5.4% this year… but the details of eligibility are the same each year…
and, of course, the abatement is halved when the income is in the upper level… and nothing at all when above 26400…

Good spot! In this case it seems the France progressive tax system does not operate. Madame will be glad she is my concubine - she got the ‘half measure’ this year, (happily) probably won’t next year as the UK state pension has kicked in. (another small ‘cliff’ on the shores of progressiveness).

Thanks Vero, it was a good suggestion if it had been important to me but it was more about understanding the reasoning behind it that had me thinking. Stella’s post makes it quite clear which my understanding of the Connexion piece, did not.

A trip to the impots is not something I like doing. I went earlier this month as I could get no help online from them but the reception I got was not very forthcoming although not rude, not friendly either. All sorted now just have to wait for assessment to see if the clerk has relayed all my figures correctly.