Age is only a number - (or is it?) Ongoing

Me too! I’m aiming for 120 - provided I am still fit and active and I see no reason why not. My life Peter will continue to be one of quality. We live in the best of times/the worst of times and I would love to be around to see what mankind begins to make of it all. So much has changed in my first 70 years and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in my next 50.

1 Like

@SuePJ cheerfully responds to my heavily ironic and apocryphal ‘Yiddisher’ pleasantry about ‘width over quality’: “My life Peter will continue to be one of quality.”

May you live long to fulfil your aspiration, and even beyond it, Sue!

I admit that at times I’d like to get a glimpse of the future, but I somehow doubt I would be happy to witness it. Our children will.

They are all over 40 and none of them see much in the way of grounds for optimism a out humankind and our planet. They have all opted not to procreate. That trend seems to be an upward one too.

I’m not pessimistic, just not unreasonably optimistic either.

Age is certainly only a number to many of the formidable ladies of our commune.

Out strolling with a trio this evening… I remarked about an area where trees had been cut, leaving a large scar on the landscape.

Gracious, one might well have thought I had tuned in to the History Channel… as they started chattering amongst themselves, much too fast for me to follow in its entirety… all about WW2 and how it was when the enemy was in occupation in this area.

Seems the spot I had indicated was quite literally where “the bodies were buried”. More fast chat and then a slower explanation. Seems there were folk who “listened at key-holes” and then reported back to the enemy. As a result, many locals were arrested and some were killed.

When the snitches were finally identified, they eventually they got their comeuppance. Disappeared never to be seen again. :zipper_mouth_face: … and I had innocently pointed out their final resting place.

These ladies had been kids during the war and they were swapping tales and reminiscences from those long ago days, as fresh as if they had happened yesterday.

All are in their late 80’s. One lady still runs her small farm, one does voluntary work “for elderly folk” (sorry, that always makes me chuckle) and the other helps with the family business. They are a joy and an example of what can be achieved, no matter what one’s age. None of them consider themselves “old”… and I intend to follow their example.

1 Like

And what to do if you know you don’t have much time left.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/aug/15/where-would-you-eat-if-you-didnt-have-long-to-live

Lovely idea… and wonderful how folk rally round.

Similarly, we encouraged my brother to do absolutely everything he had intended/wanted to do… but had put off for later… :hugs: He had a wonderful year and a bit… the only thing left undone was the cruise in Portugal, booked and paid for well in advance as an encouragement… (and he almost managed that… almost… :hugs::upside_down_face:)

The end is coming to each and everyone, so we might just as well put our best foot forward as much as possible… (in my opinion)

2 Likes

100 Years old and still teaching Dance. :hugs:

He’s still got it !

1 Like

He has aged VERY well! Still got it. Love the video. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Listening to this again… I realise Rod vaguely echoes my words of advice, given by me (an elderly great-aunt) … to my 17 year old great-niece on our last visit to UK… :thinking:

“Make sure you really like him… make sure he is your best friend before you let him become your lover… and if in doubt, chuck him out…” :upside_down_face:

89 years old and still going strong…

and a great rendition of “You raise me up”…one of my favourite songs… which is on his Record… good luck to him !

Pink Floyd live, 1970 (or ‘71) Manchester University Students’ Union (Oxford Rd, not UMIST) Can’t remember the exact year, nor the price (either 6/-0 or 30p? - true!!) but do remember they were superb. What can one get for 30p today?

OTH this does make one feel rather old!

1 Like

Chopin is my favourite…

but the young man can handle anything…

1 Like
1 Like

She looks gorgeous!

78 and 22 and yesterday, both quite splendid!

2 Likes

Some more to remind us there is more to life. :grin:

2 Likes

Oh yes I read that in bed with coffee this morning - I loved the guy who started at uni at 93 :rofl:

2 Likes

Wonderful article - thank you Sue! Reminds me of a time when I was in my 20s and all the “old” people around me seemed dead from the neck up (dread to think how old they actually were - probably in their 40s :roll_eyes: ) and I went to Oxford to explore. I got on a bus and found myself near several very elderly people who were discussiong something academic (I think) with lots of energy and passion. I realised that being old wasn’t necessarily a living death sentence…

4 Likes