Age is only a number - (or is it?) Ongoing

Just a reminder - we make all sorts of (wrong) assumptions about what aging means.

From the following article: “There is a misconception that people over 65 cannot produce hypertrophy [growth] of the muscle,” says Mark Peterson, an associate professor of physical medicine and rehabilitation at the University of Michigan . “Muscle is a tissue that can adapt with stimulus.” The key is to check with a doctor first, and start slowly.

And not sure why the headline says A new start after 60, when she started at 71.

1 Like

I hope not, I shall be 74 tomorrow.

1 Like

My 96-year old friend in Cheltenham is getting a bit frail now but we have the most amazing discussions - she is an invaluable person…

Happy birthday for tomorrow. :grin:

I’ll second that! Are you celebrating in style @Jane_Williamson ?

We went out to lunch today, as our local restaurant does not do a lunch on Saturday.
I am sure that we will open a bottle of good wine.

2 Likes

Sounds great to me!

Happy birthday Jane

1 Like

For several years at the end of my lecturing career, I tutored Open University Arts & Humanities students of many diffenrent nationalities who were living in Continental Europe. Many were in their seventies or eighties with doctorates and incredible careers in medical and other scientific areas. Invariably they’dwanr=$$***
ted to study the arts when young, but had made a pragmatic (some might say’sensible’) choice of career path.
However, what I found really satisfying about workig with these students was that their analytical abilities were unusuallly acute. I remember in particular a German paediatrician who’d spent herentire career working in Central africa, but who never got less than 85% for her essays on 2nd millenium European Art & Visual Culture.

@Jane_Williamson
:notes:Happy birthday :notes: for tomorrow, and many happy returns of the day! :champagne::clinking_glasses::birthday:

1 Like

Thank you. I shall never forget this birthday. The storm started at about 2 am and went on for hours with lightning all the time. We kept losing power and then it coming back, fortunately because I need the oven this morning.
We have also lost two fruit trees in the orchard, just uprooted.
Leah, our dog was terribly frightened as it went on for so long. We had a second dose this morning and now everything is grey and overcast.
I got a beautiful book from my daughter in UK and it came through because it had been sent from Belgium.
It is called ‘The Power of Knitting - Stitching Together Our Lives in a Fractured World’ by Loretta Napeoloni.
She is a very high powered economist whose husband ruined their family financially and she uses examples of knitting to tell her life story.
There is eventing and tennis from the Olympics today, I just hope they show some.

3 Likes

You have my deep sympathy Jane. We had an Airedale who was terrified of storms and fireworks. The only way we could help her was to sit with her in the utility room with the washing machine and tumble dryer going as “white noise” to block out what was happening outside.
The latest Airedale wasn’t much better but now is stone deaf so sleeps peacefully through it all. Stone deaf, except when you open the fridge door - and no, I’ve no idea how she does that!
Your book sounds lovely.

@Jane_Williamson oh no how awful, poor you and especially poor Leah. So I’ll wish you une belle journée!

Smell! Ours can detect the slightest trace of food, and will head straight to people picnicking that are out of sight and half a km away.

2 Likes

Wishing you a super birthday!

1 Like

Happy birthday Jane. Just seen your post as our electricity was down after the storm. I hope you recovered and enjoyed your day. Wishing you all the best.

It was quite terrifying wasn’t it? It felt like an evil banshee was raging above our heads all of a sudden during the night. And then there was the sound of a load of tiles sliding off the roof :see_no_evil:

All’s well that ends well we were able to replace the tiles from inside the attic.

Hope you have a nice evening :beers: x

1 Like

Well, it’ll certainly be a birthday to remember, whereas so many just blur into memory. I hope you’ll have many happy futures recounting to friends how awful it all was!

1 Like

Thank you both Marijkeh and Mark.

1 Like

Who are you calling old? | David Burnett
‘In the United States, I discovered sports competitions for seniors, both men and women, with determined amateurs, some who started competing after they retired, and former athletes too old to enter major events. From the age of 55 to 90+, they all have the same spirit of solidarity and the same ambition to stand up to the march of time.’National Senior Games basketball competition: The Silver Slammers vs A League of Their Own. Birmingham, Alabama, June 2017.At the Maison de la catalanité Perpignan, Perpignan’s Festival of Photography, 28 August to 26 September.

1 Like

My old friend Laurence Demarco’s blog often features wise thoughts on the experience of ageing - and occasionally its funny side…

Opening my curtains on Thursday morning, the curtain rail collapses – wee bits of plastic flying everywhere. Drive into Edinburgh for replacement – find Homebase is selling rolls of turf – five for £20; remember recent decision to get some – helpful assistant loads boot. I can no longer mount a ladder, then use both hands – too unsteady; phone local handyman, Tommy, who comes after his work – cheerful and competent – takes him less than an hour to re-hang curtains. Rude to eat while he’s working – so after, starving, I drive into South Queensferry for a Lamb Bhuna. I have a favourite parking spot – looking across the three bridges to Fife. While unloading my supper, I somehow lose the boiled rice – eat my delicious lamb without it – then I remember I put it under the passenger seat? I also expect to remember soon why I have acquired five rolls of turf.

https://larryslunchette.net/timeless

7 Likes