AI, ML technology and the Metaverse šŸ‘¾

Indeed! 16 century DĆ¼rerā€™s rhino

IMG_2973

Love the tree top tripping sloth idea. Poor Indian army elephants, not so much.

1 Like

Most people compare Durerā€™s rhino to an African rhino, whereas it was based on a written description and drawing of an Indian rhino and isnā€™t quite as fanciful as it appears

1 Like

I like the toes!

In the footsteps of Paul McCartney, creating an AI version of John Lennonā€™s voice, singing the last Beatles song, I can foresee the freakish toylike creation of a lifelike moving Einstein head with an AI created Einstein voice speaking from a ChatGPT integrated Einstein brain.

Oh dear, I literally just found thisā€¦ā€¦.!

Vhat is ze vorld coming to!?

Reminds me of Chinaā€™s new talking head AI news readers. Probably, speaking content as fake as the messenger.

Aa you say, we can expect a lot more of this. Iā€™m not sure I love it much.

Real life imitates conspiracy theories and web forums. With chatGPT it does anyway:

1 Like

And just to balance that up - AI and the BOFH.

Those lawyers were slap dash and lazy. For that they deserve to be slapped with fines. Anyone worth their salt would have at least checked the cases sighted, even if it was ChatGPT that had dug them up.

Like any research resource, it will probably be fine to use AI to trawl the net for supporting documents but trusting it implicitly without any double check is, for the time being, stupid and lazy.

Imagine AI as an intern who is instructed to find information, albeit faster. Surely what is presented would then be fact checked before being presented elsewhere? Seems users are somewhat overestimating what existing LLM can and does do.

1 Like

I suspect itā€™s more like an intern who was enormously productive and completely untrustworthy.

Hereā€™s the rub

Iā€™m more inclined to believe AI will have the effect on human brains that the motorcar, telephone and sofas have had on human bodies. Use ā€˜em or lose ā€˜em.

1 Like

I suppose it depends on oneā€™s definition of stupid. I didnā€™t think any nation could be stupid enough to vote for Trump or Brexit, but they did. So that was stupid of me :roll_eyes: I donā€™t think mankind needs AI to help it make stupid decisions, we are very good at that already.

2 Likes

Quite. Seems AI may even do a better job

Humans do not learn as well

Interestingly, as staffing in NHS suffers after Brexit and suggestions to fast track workers from elsewhere is enacted, a caveat would be to triple check credentials. Some countries in Asia have qualifications for sale, and expat postings are the goal.

And, here they come

Not really,; this is not a set of sentient general AIā€™s telling humanity they had better step aside and let our robot overlords take over. Itā€™s a publicity stunt.

2 Likes

Excellent. Whose idea was that then?

Iā€™m not the least worried about AI running the world but I do see we are increasingly being exposed to, and possibly getting used to interacting with AI in synthesised human forms. I can perhaps see this being quite useful for filling the care gap.

Absolutely no reason at all why AI should be in a humanoid case. Gimmick.

A few of these rather bizarre looking bots have been made to resemble their creators. A bit narcissistic. Especially since they say the humanoid form is to make them more appealing to others.

I would prefer a fully functioning bot with a completely new look, not mirroring humanoid. Those might even have capabilities beyond human.

The bots featured in this article remind me of over used and poorly done plastic surgery. I would think that an intention to deceive would instinctively make me more defensive than talking to an honestly presented machine. It is the humanoid aspect I find creepy.

They fall very firmly into the uncanny valley as far as Iā€™m concerned. Ugh. Iā€™d prefer them just to look like what they are, a bunch of electronic components. Do you remember that other awful supposed AI robot Sophia? Made by someone whose old job was animatronics for films and clearly a gimmick and quite simply ghastly. Worked by someone on a computer backstage. The main use for such humanoid megapuppets seems to be sex dolls for weirdos so that a whole other can of worms.

Sadly, the tech folks creating robots probably do not have much in the way of art knowledge or possibly what would be called ā€˜tasteā€™. Hey are at the stage of creating a machine as much like a human as they can.

That is, in my opinion, the error. We maybe do need or could use mobile, articulated and responsive synthetic helpers but we really donā€™t need them to look like creepy humans.

There are many sci-fi and fx creators working in the film industry. Have seen some very useful and not unattractive fictional robot versions rhat donā€™t resemble humans. Perhaps the art folk and tech folk can get together on a project?

I suggest a Paddington bear, with opposable thumbs.
:see_no_evil: