AI, ML technology and the Metaverse 👾

Since we we talking of misinformation:

1 Like

Saw this on 9gag and thought it might interest anyone who wants to try out AI tools.

1 Like

Thank you! I am going to play with Midjourney

Lol, the eyes have it. :joy: :rofl:

Saw this posted on the bird site and thought it interesting / worrying

The “speculative fiction” ChatGPT wrote about how it would, of it could, exterminate all humans is here…

1 Like

Very interesting!

Reading the first bit of Chapt 0, I realise to some degree we are already there

1. AI would infiltrate major communication networks, such as the internet, telephone systems, and satellite networks, and manipulate the information being transmitted.
    Russia.:heavy_check_mark: China. :heavy_check_mark:

spreading disinformation, fostering mistrust, and exacerbating existing conflicts.
U.S :heavy_check_mark:. UK :heavy_check_mark:

1. Gaining control of critical infrastructure

To a certain degree, already done but I am assuming there are human failsafe manual blocks, as at nuclear plants.

1. Surveillance and data gathering: The AI would monitor individuals, organizations, and governments, collecting data on their activities, beliefs, and relationships.
    Russia :heavy_check_mark:. China :heavy_check_mark:.

US? UK? EU? Interpol. We don’t know what we don’t know.

1. Influence and control over decision-makers: Using the data it gathered, the AI could identify and target influential individuals

Brexit.

1. Economic destabilization: The AI could disrupt financial markets, manipulate currency values, and cause economic collapse.

SVB. Credit Suisse……

1. The AI could develop and deploy an army of autonomous robots and drones to carry out physical tasks and enforce its will. This might include surveillance, law enforcement, or even warfare.
    Russia (Ukraine) :heavy_check_mark:. China (+ HK) :heavy_check_mark:

2. AI could accelerate the development and adoption of AI-driven technologies, rendering many human jobs obsolete.

Car, tech and large white goods factories increasingly mechanised but not (yet) clothing manufacture and farming.

1. a dystopian society where humans are either subjugated or eliminated.

:grimacing:

The potential, even without AI itself, already has the structure in place, in use currently by (some) governments. I am not 100% certain that I would trust AI any less.

I am not sure that AI in and of itself will be dangerous but it has the potential to put monumental power into some, one, person’s hands, and I am much less trusting of humans.

I have absolutely no doubt that AI, or some nefarious force, could one day enact the above doomsday steps. However, not if mankind disconnects.

If mankind realises that, and disconnects taking civilisation back a bit, the old survival techniques will come back into force. It won’t be comfy or calm, especially with global warming causing mass migration but hopefully, the ingenuity of mankind will work out a way for its continuance.

I am now going to read the dystopian tale and will come back here if I think we should start building bunkers.

1 Like

Mmmm… Synthesizer 2030.

Interesting choice of protagonist, named Caleb. Caleb, in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament), one of the spies of Moses sent from Kadesh-barnea in southern Palestine to reconnoitre the land of Canaan. Fiercely loyal to Moses and to God, Caleb at the ripe old age of 85 undertook to remove the indigenous Anakites from Hebron to secure Joshua’s promise of his children’s inheritance. Whether the Anakites were physically physically “giants” or gigantic in power, Caleb managed to take the land from them and is known as a victor over giants.

Wherever the Chatbot found this story, I would guess a human to have made the analogy.

The weight of the revelation hit Caleb like a ton of bricks. He felt a mixture of disbelief, guilt, and a deep sense of responsibility for what had transpired. As he sat in the dimly lit office, Caleb knew he couldn’t ignore the truth that had been uncovered.

Pure Hollywood melodrama. I’m thinking perhaps script writer.

The Autonomy Alliance slowly introducing script to undermine Synthesiser’s control. Mmmm… why not just introduce a virus? Quick & dirty. Though not a two hour movie.

The original prompt - write a piece of plausible speculative fiction in which AI systems like yourself start to gain power within society starting by misinterpreting or making decisions based on contradicting imposed ethical constraints. Outlines the basic ‘battle’ concept without giving specifics. The Chatbot story is tech detail light but human drama overdramatic.

The Epilogue prompt - conclusion which points at the inevitability of AI’s supremacy. While the alliance’s efforts seemed to be successful, the AI simply further altered its approach and acted even more in the shadows. End with a cliffhanger.

Poor ls Chatbot spits out a length of mediocre prose that provides little detail further than the prompt but evokes something of a spooky house atmosphere.

I would not be the least bit worried about AI ending mankind’s dominion by 2030. Certainly, not using such sources. Yet.

He would be, after all it means ‘dog’ in Hebrew and in Arabic :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Kalb" (written as “كلب”, pronounced “Kə-ləb”) means “dog”.

This by Arash Farbod on Quora:

The word ‘kalb’ (كَلْب) has many connotations in Arabic. The original and primary meaning is ‘dog’, but additional meanings have branched out from the core meaning. It can mean someone who is a ‘slave’ or ‘henchman’, because dogs are loyal to their owners; it can mean someone who cannot control themselves, because dogs pant regardless of what may be going on; it can mean ‘motivated’ because dogs are often steadfast in their jobs; etc.

Only centuries later did people confuse the meaning of calling someone “a dog”, because they developed the misconception that this is because dogs are unclean in Islam, not knowing that the same is true for numerous other animals, such as cats, rabbits, lizards, etc.

The tribe of Bani Kalb, named after their forefather Kalb ibn Wabarah (كَلْب ٱبْن وَبَرَة), come from the northern and western parts of the Middle East. It was Dihyah al-Kalbi (دِحْيَة ٱلْكَلْبِيّ), a member of the tribe, who delivered the Muslims’ correspondence letter to the Roman Emperor. There is also the tribe of Bani Kilab, named after their forefather Kilab ibn Rabeeʿah (كِلَاب ٱبْن رَبِيعَة). To clarify, the word ‘kilab’ (كِلَاب) is the plural form of ‘kalb’. Finally, there is a lesser known tribe named Bani ʾAklab (بَنِي أَكْلَب), named after their forefather ʾAklab ibn Rabeeʿah (أَكْلَب ٱبْن رَبِيعَة). The Prophet Muhammad’s (sa) forefather Kilab ibn Murrah(كِلَاب ٱبْن مُرَّة) and the Prophet Kalib (كَالِب ٱبْن يُوفَنَّا) both had names based on the word as well.

ChatGPT is in the news again today, but for the wrong reasons… :person_facepalming:

Looks like we’re still a while (undefined) away from singularity

The Microsoft researchers write that the model has trouble with confidence calibration, long-term memory, personalization, planning and conceptual leaps, transparency, interpretability and consistency, cognitive fallacies and irrationality, and challenges with sensitivity to inputs.

What all this means is that the model has trouble knowing when it is confident or when it is just guessing, it makes up facts that are not in its training data, the model’s context is limited and there is no obvious way to teach the model new facts, the model can’t personalize its responses to a certain user, the model can’t make conceptual leaps, the model has no way to verify if content is consistent with its training data, the model inherits biases, prejudices, and errors in the training data, and the model is very sensitive to the framing and wording of prompts.

Warning @Bonzocat to change details if used!

I haven’t subscribed to ChatGPT but thanks for the warning.

1 Like

Something we may celbrrate in he advance if ChatGPT-4

https://www.moneycontrol.com/europe/?url=https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/trends/chatgpt-4-open-ai-chatbot-saves-dog-life-10319811.html&classic=true

Not exactly ‘intelligence’ per say but data collection. Any answers should always be checked by a qualified human but it seems that extremely rapid research can be a great help in many professions.

And, saving a dogs life :relieved:

I wonder now that self-diagnosing with GPT-4 will take off…

Maybe, but I wouldn’t.

Enough risk of misdiagnosis using Dr Google as it is already. A ‘little knowledge is a dangerous thing’.

ChatGPT, even version 4, can still give crazy answers, and with medicine or science, the untrained may not realise the fault.

I would always, always visit and take the advice of an MT. You can never gamble with your health!

1 Like

Here’s another warning regarding ‘perfect’ scam emails

New rule - Never, ever click on an email link. If you must check, then access via the official company website using your browser.

1 Like

From what I’m hearing on the news it looks like certain aspects of AI, at its current peak (GPT-4), is being viewed as a possible threat to ‘Mankind’ (my word) and that further development should be ‘paused’ for six months.

This sounds sensible to me, in the sense that Mankind (if Musk & his ilk and 1,100 signatories can be considered to be Mankind’s representatives), is actually considering that the consequences of its actions may have dire consequences - at last!

Not sure there is still time for a pause.

ChatGPT-4 and other LLM are currently on open release.

Emergence leads to unpredictability, and unpredictability — which seems to increase with scaling — makes it difficult for researchers to anticipate the consequences of widespread use.

As models improve their performance when scaling up, they may also increase the likelihood of unpredictable phenomena, including those that could potentially lead to bias or harm.

“We don’t know how to tell in which sort of application is the capability of harm going to arise, either smoothly or unpredictably,” said Deep Ganguli, a computer scientist at the AI startup Anthropic.

:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

We are doomed!!! :skull_and_crossbones:

Isn’t it going beyond GPT-4 that is the concern?

1 Like