AI, ML technology and the Metaverse šŸ‘¾

Itā€™s the fact that with minimal direction weā€™re at the point where a lot of the behaviour emerges spontaneously from the models.

After all, humans mostly just emulate humans.

Where do you draw the line?

1 Like

Such hypocrisy.

Of course it is, at least the Chinese one looks Chinese and not American.

ā€œThe presenterā€™s blonde hair and light-coloured eyes reflect the countryā€™s diverse population of Kuwaitis and expatriates, Mr Boftain saidā€

My Aussie friend says that soon all women will be blondes. Already half true if you look around in Athens today. Carpets = curtains not so much.

Isnā€™t that just a bleach/dye bottle trend though and not a natural one, it could all change tomorrow depending on the fashion.

Ah! Youā€™ve seen :eyes:.

True about bottle blondes. Been around for centuries. Even the Romans. Possibly something more in it than just fashion.

Strangely, not such a fashion for menā€¦

1 Like

Well, thatā€™ll save on funerals.

True, but thatā€™s not intelligence, is it :face_with_hand_over_mouth:monkey see, monkey do. Though it might be half the ruddy problem with the human condition.

What Iā€™m impressed with is the computational power. Twenty-five ā€œthingsā€ all ā€œthinkingā€ and interacting with twenty-four other ā€œthingsā€ which are all ā€œthinkingā€. Thatā€™s a lot of connections, you burn up MIPS or GIPS or TIPS or whatever it is these days pretty quickly that way.

I really must make an effort to understand quantum computing, Iā€™m still a binary sort of chap. I suppose itā€™s all about bits being state fluid, hence very topical.

My daughter was a great SIMS fan, she played it right from version 1 in 2000. I still have the latest compendium version on my iMac in case she feels like a quick burst on the banjo when sheā€™s visiting. It runs quickly on Apple silicon.

1 Like

I donā€™t know - Quantum Computing seems to be one of those things that, like fusion, the real breakthrough seems to be ā€œjust around the cornerā€ and has remained in that state for as long as I can remember.

Plus, even if a general purpose QC is built, Iā€™m not sure humans will be able to program it for more than relatively simple computations - perhaps that is one arena in which AIs might shine.

I agree about intelligence though - so far there are no reports of an AI making an leap of intuition, though I suspect that one will do so before too long.

However large language models need a query input to which to respond - all they actually do is predict the next word in a conversation; hence a new IT skill is framing input queries to get the best response out.

1 Like

A skill Google and Bing users may need to acquire :thinking:

Iā€™m sure there are those on SV who might be up for thisā€¦

It is going to become increasingly difficult to believe and / or not become cynical about everything we read

for readers and the wider information ecosystem, it opens up whole new questions about whether citations can be trusted in any way, and could well feed conspiracy theories about the mysterious removal of articles on sensitive issues that never existed in the first place.

I FWIW, feel that this may be too little too late but at least someone is trying to impose some regulation on the runaway tech

And then thereā€™s policing for a different reason

1 Like

Sony World Photography Award 2023: Winner refuses award after revealing AI creation

1 Like

Excellent! Thank you for posting this as I had missed.

I applaud the photographer Boris for his honesty and use of the platform to force the issue into public discussion.

Although I am aware that many feel art is conceptual, purely in the message with no bearing on how or by whom, or by what, it is created, I think that craft and in this particular case photography and the eye of man (or woman) is critical.

It is an emotive debate I am sure ChatGPT will be defending vigorously.

Weā€™ve all had a hand in, responsible for, what AI produces it seems, all of us who use the internet, in one way or anotherā€¦

https://www.axios.com/2023/04/24/ai-chatgpt-blogs-web-writing-training-data?utm_medium=auto.techbriefing.us.mon.rd.20230424&utm_source=email&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=email-2022

If you have created your own website you may find out if it has been used for the purposes of developing AI by clicking on the Washington Post link. Under ā€™ Is your website training AI?ā€™

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/interactive/2023/ai-chatbot-learning/#lookup-table

Yep, one of mine is there - ranked over 14millionth in the list.

Who else on SF is there I wonder?

Bloombergā€™s Rachel Metz, summed up as: ā€œHow important is it to you that the news that you read is written by a human?ā€

When perusing other news sources, be wary of content that reads like financial services promotional material.