Air Fryers

I’ve recently met a couple of people who swore by their air fryers. Yesterday I was in Gifi looking for some kitchenware. And there they were, a pile of small air fryers. So I threw caution to the winds and splashed out Euros 30. Got it home, read the instructions (getting careful in my old age) and used to to make a hamburger. Brilliant - I’m hooked.

Gus

6 Likes

I use a frying pan :rofl:

you little devil… :wink: :wink: … now we’ll need an ongoing blog/saga of all the things you cook in this new “toy”…

1 Like

I don’t think so.

1 Like

Me too ! I have decided that I have enough new-fangled gadgets already…

1 Like

Very unusually for us*, we handed back our air fryer after 4 days. We realised the photos on the box and instructions were completely misleading as to the relatively small quantities you could fry at any one time. People we know well who are cooking for one, swear by them for genuine convenience, reduced use of oil etc. But cooking for 2 or more, it really doesn’t seem satisfactory cooking in them (or maybe we just eat too large quantities!).

*We almost never return items

2 Likes

It’s like so many things… what works well in some households, won’t necessarily in another…

I might borrow one, before splashing out… :wink:

1 Like

It’s a small fast oven. The “fryer” bit is misleading - it makes oven chips at best.

2 Likes

And is very good for cooking sausages🤤

2 Likes

oh dear… I’ve just read the on-line bumpf… seems one can bake a cake in the AirFryer…
OH will be delighted to hear that and I reckon I know what will be on his Christmas List :wink: :wink:

There is apparently (I haven’t actually seen it) a series on UK TV at the moment which is Jamie Oliver does Air Frying.

I don’t need more electrical equipment , but I imagine this will end up the norm in small city centre flats. We already often struggle to find places to rent for us with an oven, not a combo microwave.

1 Like

More just selling his soul to his paymasters at Tefal.

Well yes if you are using man made seed oils reducing or cutting those out completely is best but for olive oil, butter or animal fats no.

I call mine an Air Cooker, the word Fryer put me off from buying one for a very long while. I love it, cook almost everything in it apart from vegetables which are much better cooked altogether in my steamer. The mini oven is still there, but it is now a plate warmer.

I followed the instructions to start with but soon gave up as I found better ways to use it, I can even cook eggs in it, in a glass bowl I have small enough to just fit in the drawers. Just a small spot of olive oil in the bottom to stop them sticking, break the eggs in, and set it to air-fry. The time and temperature set automatically (although I could change both if I wanted to) but I ignore both once I knew how long to leave it. No good if you want runny yokes though, they cook quicker than the surrounding ‘whites’, but that is fine by me.

Fish and meat are easy and tasty, again I trust the temp but leave the timing to my own observation and experience. A surprising discovery is toast though, set to ‘Grill’ and cooked to my own time, again, it is perfect and cheese on toast is wonderful too, I have even got Fran to ask for it. Again personal choice is important, I toast the bread and the cheese on it at the same time. Toast alone needs to be turned if that is your wish, but I have come to like my ‘toasted one side’ result and take it out after about 5 minutes. Just a need to put it in first before bothering about heating the coffee or getting the butter etc out of the fridge. Our toaster, long unreliable, has not been thrown out but it is barred from the kitchen now.

Because cleaning the large and heavy drawers is such a chore (no room to put them in soak immediately as @_Brian advised), so I now make sure I have paper inserts (around €15 delivered per 100 from Amazon) to put the food in and have bought a one off backup of re-usable ones, just in case, but they are more difficult to lift out without burning your fingers. The result is that, with care, the drawers hardly ever need cleaning.

Lastly, the ‘Synch’ function is a delight. My biggest worry and failing with cooking has always in the past been getting everything to finish at the same time. This has solved all my problems. You have one drawer that needs 20 minutes and the other only 10 minutes and as long as you press the synch button it puts one drawer ‘On Hold’ till the other one catches up, then off they go together to arrive together. The only thinking I have to do is with the steamer in conjunction, but that is easy, veg are almost always 15 minutes. :joy:

11 Likes

If you reduce the temperature and increase the time you can get set white and runny yolks. With my air fryer, I find that 90°C for 12 minutes does the job.

2 Likes

my word, this is fascinating…
and David’s words had me chuckling…
When I was very ill… OH offered to cook the meal… marvellous idea I thought…
except that he rushed in saying… “it’s all happening at once, HELP…” :rofl:

We have a Ninja multi cooker.
It makes the best roast chicken, halloumi cheese is wonderful.
Today I used it to make criss cross potatoes.
Potatoes cut horizontally then cut across into diamonds and brushed with olive oil and seasoned.

2 Likes

You can even “boil” eggs in them.

1 Like

All this makes me wonder where your ovens fail.
Its a small cooker that heats a small space quickly thereby saving energy but thats it, unless your current ovens leak that much heat that they struggle a bit? Electric ovens can be very well insulated where gas ovens must have air. I had the original halogen oven (large glass bowl with a powerful lamp above it) it was very good for pork crackling, saved 20 mins of pre heating the oven for other things.

1 Like

Got a saucepan for that :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like