Air traffic noise over rural France?

The good old Vulcan. It was actually the air intakes which produced the unmistakable howl
not the exhausts. The four engines were relatively quiet. Listen to the twin engines on the blackbird or the four on the bone. Now that is noise. Nice but still noise

2 Likes

First of all: the concentration of all first 2 MENTOR phases in a single base, implying the concentration of trainings on a restricted area (12 000 km2 is not a lot, for about 35 planes / 17 planes each day / 40 000 km flown each day). The army calls this “rationalization”; I call it savings to allow private companies to care on a single spot for planes.

OK I have read it. I had the experience of such a “collectiv” in Germany howling about an airbase in the vicinity. Most of the jesus boot wearers had moved to the area within the last 5 years or so. When building houses they had known that there was an airbase there, they all took advantage of the triple glazing grants allowed to them, but still they whined and howled about the airbase. Long story short, the MoD closed the airbase down and over 20 of the whiners were made unemployed from Friday to Monday. Start of the next whining session about closing the airbase down.

Employment is not an argument for any activity, in any way: there are plenty of other ways to employ people with less impact and, may be, more social utility. Remember how good was France with Covid vaccine recently ? Any economist knows that military industry is not an efficient engine…

Roberto there are perfectly fair and reasonable objections that can be made to all sorts of things. Unfortunately the closer you get to government things the harder that is in most countries. And, specifically, any word against the military is literally not going to fly, in France. You’re not going to win against the military establishment and its government support. Also being military has a lot to do with France’s self-image.

Yes we know a lot of what causes disturbance isn’t just training, there is also commercial activity such as jets being tried out by pilots of the, say Indian air force who visit apparently in a military equipment selling process.

Criticise the military in France? Mention military activity inconveniences you? Good luck.

1 Like

Well since I made this thread back in the summer it has been much quieter in the skies over Haute Correze. Less military flights, but most significantly a lot less tourism flights. If you look at Flight tracker in the summer, so many of the flights in French airspace are UK holidaymakers on UK bound or departing flights. I know what I would do if I were the EU. :wink:

whats that then ? make them walk😃

2 Likes

They should close EU airspace to all UK (outbound/inbound) flights!! Make em go around! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am not so pessimistic. There has been some improvements already, like a bit more over seas training and the search to extend training areas.
Advertising the army if founded more than 100 M€ each year: the adhesion of the population is not that natural. They don’t feel that much secure: the first apparition of the ba709.fr association triggered an instant police investigation to evaluate the danger :slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t the French do peaceful Sundays?

Just had 2 really noisy military aircraft fly over us at middle speed. Not the screaming bomb runs and rapid escalations they normally practice, but invisible and as noisy as if they were only a couple of thousand feet above the house. They were heard a long time coming and going.

Haven’t had military aircraft much for a few months now except the odd single one midweek at civilised times in the afternoon.

I really, really hope this is not going to be another summer of these boys playing overhead scaring wildlife.

Um? It’s Thursday. :thinking:

2 Likes

Er… oops I am looking forward to Sunday so forgot !

2 Likes

Ha ha … I knew it was Thursday this morning 'cos the baker came… lunch/siesta and suddenly I was convinced it’s Friday. OH has had to show me today’s News to convince me it’s still only Thursday…

The insanity is obviously spreading… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Stella he is pulling your leg, it is Friday really :wink::yum:

2 Likes

it’s getting worse… my brain is on slow, slow, stop stop, slow :wink:

2 Likes

Mine too - been up since 4am.

:crazy_face: