Alexei Navalny has died in Russian prison

Sad news that Putin’s harsh critic, Alexei Navalny, has died in prison. RIP.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone should be surprised. Vlad the pute strikes again.

2 Likes

A sign of Putin panic perhaps, getting rid of anyone and everyone who opposes him because he knows his days are numbered.

1 Like

I am surprised that Navelny thought that there would be any other outcome by returning to Russia.

1 Like

I’d somewhat forlornly hoped that some western special forces (Seal/Delta/ SAS) could have busted him out.

3 Likes

I think that really would have been the stuff of films - imagine the repercussions! And it would indisputably prove him to have been a puppet of the west if the west were forced to rescue him.

It’s far more effective for him to become a martyr in his cause in order to bring about change, although that may also give some individuals a feeling of freedom to shed blood in a ‘revolution’ they otherwise would not have had.

2 Likes

If they could do that then they should bust in a kill or capture Putain. :wink:

1 Like

I’m wondering at the wisdom/likelihood of the Russian state killing someone who was already locked away with a 19-year sentence and couldn’t really do Putin or the regime any harm. Given too that killing him, whilst gaining very little (if anything), might bring down more sanctions against Russia, or sway the Americans to give more aid to Ukraine? Is it possible he really did just die of natural causes/a health issue? I read that he collapsed last year and was hospitalised at that time. As I say, just wondering . . . .

1 Like

Let’s see if Old Joe remembers this:

“ The US president, Joe Biden, in 2021 promised “devastating” consequences for Russia if Navalny were to die behind bars…”

2 Likes

No chance - What more can Biden do? And Putin knows that…

Nevertheless you have to wonder about the level of Putin’s paranoia and sense of insecurity.

2 Likes

I think it was inevitable.

He was made of stern stuff.

3 Likes

A brave man and a loss to the Russian people.

Not wishing to engage in whataboutery but while we are taking about persecuted whistle blowers shouldn’t we also reflect on the US extraterritorial pursuit of Julian Assange?

3 Likes

Seeing ordinary folks laying flowers and candles etc in his memory makes you think! Maybe he won’t have died in vain come the day and mad vlad knows it.

1 Like

The deputy speaker of the Slovak parliament has said that the cause of death was a blood clot.

Will they allow a truly independent autopsy?

Who knows.

Some US prosecutor needs to have the balls to pursue Tucker Carlson for aiding and abetting a terrorist regime (and whatever other charges that come to hand).

Let’s hope at least some pro-Kremlin Russians and some pro-Kremlin Americans will change their ideas a bit after this event. If that happens, his sacrifice won’t be totally in vain.

2 Likes

Would that occur from ill treatment such as a beating? An answer to cover all causes by the sound of it and no one would see once he is covered up. I saw the news report again yesterday and the anger is growing now in Moscow which people won’t forget. If only the forces of law and order turned, things would be very different.

If only.
This is a dictatorship, backed by a huge force which benefits from Putin.