Allergic reaction to harvest mite / aoûtat bites

I’m allergic to harvest mites and yesterday one bit me five times up my arm - I now have a great red swollen patch that itches appallingly. It is infuriating, but not life-threatening, so this is not a case for A&E.
I just wondered if anyone has had a similar reaction and has found any way of calming the bites down.
So far I have tried (and failed) with:
Chinese balm
Steroid cream
Dog’s steroid tabs (yes, I know, not a good idea, but I’ve only taken one dose and won’t take any more)

If it’s not better tomorrow (which it probably won’t be) I will go to the pharmacy, but I suspect they won’t give me anything other than a general insect bite cream and they are not strong enough.

Outlandish ideas very welcome - thank you.

1 Like

Ice ?
soak affected spot in salt water (an article talked about wading in the sea if bitten around the ankles…)

1 Like

I keep calamine lotion (from Boots) handy but not sure if strong enough if your reaction is so bad.

For general bites I keep the little Beurer battery zapper sold by Lidl fully charged and it’s made summer so much better 2 years running now. The key is to zap the bite as soon as you are aware of it and this neutralises it so you don’t get the reaction. But if you absent-mindedly scratch or rub it first it will be less effective. Not sure though if your reaction might be too quick though SuePJ mentioning in case it helps somebody else.

I suspect pharmacist might sell you an antihistamine cream, if they are still authorised to do so on their own prescription?

1 Like

I got bitten around the top of my socks, in wellies, doing strimming 6 days ago. Itching was driving me bonkers got some Onctose cream (lidocaine and anti histamine) as well as antihistamine tablets (one at night) from pharmacy without a prescription

2 Likes

Report back:
Thanks @Stella - instant relief with the ice. I’ve got some in a bowl and I’m going to put salt on top.
@KarenLot sadly you are right - too late for the Lidl zapper. I keep anthisan cream, but haven’t found it strong enough - are the French creams stronger? Hence my tube of steroid cream which I got from the doc.
@Mark - you have my sympathy - I’ll try in the chemists tomorrow.

This is good stuff

2 Likes

our “dear departed friend” has rattled the Ouija board on the shelf in the office by the 4G router…

Antihistamine (oral and topical), ice, steroid cream (not tabs, especially the dog’s - what was it exactly?), keep an eye out for secondary infection if you have a bad reaction to provide this bit of information…

There’s a thing in the UK called Trimovate which probably would work a treat - mild/moderate steroid (Clobetasol 0.05%), an antifungal (Nystan) and oxytetracycline which is an anti-inflammatory antibiotic. Prescription only though…

the spirit hopes that helps…

4 Likes

sending friendly greetings to our dearly departed… :wink:

4 Likes

Piddly amount of hydrocortisone though - 0.25% (the OTC stuff in the UK is 1%).

We find the Marie Rose cream helpful, the active ingredients seem to be Bisabolol - originally derived from chamomile, and Glycyrrhizinic acid (originally liquorice) both of which are supposed to have anti-inflamatory properties.

2 Likes

All your comments much appreciated.
Thanks @graham and friend - and also sending best wishes. I’ve got some piriton tabs somewhere and I’ll try the anthisan again
And thanks @billybutcher . I’ve got a vague idea one of our guests left some Marie Rose stuff.
I can certainly vouch for the ice - thanks again @Stella - not sure the salt has had much additional benefit.

2 Likes

ground pepper (to stop bleeding)… is already in my First Aid collection…
and I believe saline solution (eg the Sea) works wonders on all sorts of skin conditions,
let alone itchy bites…

Our UK Doc told me to gargle with a saline solution if I had a sore throat… and it usually worked.

You need to visit the seaside and go swimming… for an hour or two… :wink:

1 Like

I got bitten by something the other week and had a hard red swollen area on my leg the size of a saucer. Pharmacy gave me disinfectant capsules that did nothing, but I then remembered I’d got some Flector gel 1% left over from previous mishaps. Applied it generously twice a day and within three days swelling and redness gone, and leg was back to normal.

[Flector gel anti inflammatoire 1% diclofénac pour entorse et tendinite (pharma-gdd.com)](https://)

were you able to identify what had bitten you ?? there are some nasties about…
I would have hot-footed it to my Doc and/or Pharmacy with something such as you describe.

Thanks Mark. Was your bite a horse fly? Sounds like it.

I wasn’t immediately aware that I’d been bitten. My regular, excellent pharmacy is closed on Saturdays, so I went to the next nearest, where the young woman who served me didn’t seem very bright.

I suspect it was a small spider, I’ve had several spider bites, including a really bad one in S Africa that took months to heal and left a permanent scar

good grief… almost makes me want to get the hoover out and attack everywhere… almost but not quite :wink:

It taught me why S African farmers wear thick knee length socks with their khaki shorts!

I didn’t have to go anywhere as exotic as South Africa to get this set of bites

which also took some months to heal and, as you can see, left a permanent set of scars on my arm.

I’m assuming spider - though if the upper pair were done by a single set of spidey fangs it must have been a big one as they are nearly 1cm apart.

Try Lavender Essential oil. It will probably help the itching and may help calm the inflammation.

It’s worked on most bites and reactions for me

1 Like

I think you need a prescription Antihistamine, the over the counter stuff is too mild IMO. I keep Bilaska (bilastine 20mg) on hand for when I’ve been attacked.

1 Like