Alsace for a week in late September - where to go?

Our favourite restaurant in Strasbourg is the Bistrot Saint Florent - but it’s a bit out of the centre so perhaps not a practical proposition. In the centre, especially in the ‘Little France’ area there are lots of decent restaurants, but many are touristy. The traditional Alsace fayre can be heavy - and heavy on meat. If you get into Strasbourg in time for a romantic breakfast or brunch - or stay late enough for after-dinner drinks - Café Atlantico is nice.

2 Likes

I can highly recommend this area and following this route. Beautiful under appreciated region of France.

3 Likes

As an Alsacienne myself living in the UK I can only strongly recommend beautiful Strasbourg as a starting point which is already described below by Geoff. However Colmar, further South is also very pretty and well worth a visit as it has kept parts of its medieval charm and has an abundance of good restaurants, churches, the Unterlinden Museuem and many exquisite shops. Colmar is also on the Wine Road (check La Route du vin on Internet ) and there are many other attractive old towns and quaint villages around especially Eguisheim, Riquewhir, Ribeauville, etc. If you have the chance, go and visit the Haut Koenigsburg (an old castle) off Colmar. There is also an Ecomusee near Ensisheim (a former mining area) which is an old traditional village put together with old Alsace Houses deemed to be demolished, a school, a mill, etc. Doggy should be able to have its daily stroll in towns and in most of these places. Further down again there is Mulhouse, a former industrial weaving thriving town, famous for its Railway Museum but especially for its impressive Schlumpf Museum storing a large collection of old Bugatti cars. If you venture there, you will never be far away from the German or Swiss borders especially Basel (Switzerland) and Weil am Rhein (Germany) which is just down the motorway so there will be plenty to do and see in Alsace. If you require further information please let me know. I’d be very happy to assist. Bonnes vacances !

2 Likes

I would add Alt Breisach in Germany to your excellent list, just over the border as a much prettier alternative to Neuf Brisach, with several reasonable hotels, e.g. Kapuzinergarten with a fantastic view over the Kaiserstuhl and vineyards, and an excellent restaurant with a somewhat esoteric, but very interesting owner !

2 Likes

I got this from Conde Nast travel e-newsletter :Free travel guide to Strasbourg, France | CN Traveller
Amongst the ‘prettiest village’ is KAYSERSBERG, ALSACE , mentioned in: The 12 most beautiful villages in France | CN Traveller

1 Like

Hello,

As Hotel and Spa, with regional style rooms or also more traditional style rooms in another part of the hotel, well furbished breakfast, and nice looking spa area, I recommend Les Violettes located between Colmar and Mulhouse https://les-violettes.com/.

As places to visit, in general, you have a general information website in English here Best attractions and points of interest | Visit Alsace

As more personal recommendations, I would specify Riquewihr village, on the road of wines, with very typical houses. It’s famous to be among the most beautiful villages in whole France, as a medieval and wine-growing city.

More suggestions like this one can be found here : Les plus beaux villages d'Alsace : classement | Détours en France.

Hope you enjoy.

1 Like