Alsace for a week in late September - where to go?

I know - much too general a question, but I’d welcome some guidance please. I literally have no idea where to go / what to see / where to stay.
OH wants to go away for a week or so, sometime during last half of September and he’s suggested Alsace because it’s a part of France we don’t know.
We will have Bertie our mutt with us so I’m assuming town centres are out as we will need to walk him first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
Usually our holidays consist of a bit of town centre sight-seeing but also countryside / old castles / bastides / etc. and places we can walk the dog.
Food is important to OH, so one or two good evening meals in quality restaurants would be nice - ideally with dog under table.
Usually we go for mid-range price hotels. Three/four star.
Any suggestions please very much appreciated so I can put down some anchors - when I look on the internet at the moment I just don’t know where to start. Thanks

1 Like

I shall be interested in any replies you get too, Sue!

I’ve no ideas, but glad to hear your plans and will follow the replies with interest… :slight_smile:

We have a rather different situation from Sue’s (because of micro caravan rather than hotel) but now that we are freer to travel than we were, exploring other areas is a must and Alsace is right at the top of it (after visiting Uncle Fred in the CWG cemetery near Arras)

1 Like

Had a marvellous meal in Arras (near the station) about 50 years ago… and Arras itself is glorious (or it was…)

1 Like

I once stayed in a gite in Sessenheim, a sleepy little village which we loved. It was close to the river, and you could cross by (free) ferry and be in Germany.

Certainly that area was very pleasant. It helps if you like choucroute!

2 Likes

Not Alsace though? As far as I can see.

No, I was replying to @AngelaR:wink: and her comment about visiting the cemetery etc…

1 Like

@SuePJ
I love Alsace!
Colmar is pretty, Mulhouse has the Peugeot museum, the route des vins from either up to Strasbourg which is a wonderful city, the route des vins is lovely and you can see v pretty but v busy-with-tourists villages like Riquewihr or Ribeauvillé, visit the Haut-Koenigsbourg castle, beautiful inside and out and fab views, look over the Rhine to Germany and maybe go there eg the Kaiserstuhl, fab wines and restaurants in eg Oberbergen. Eat totally fantastic Zander in the restaurant Bords du Rhin in Rhinau where you can take the Bac across the river to Germany (book for the restaurant I’ve never seen it not full). Go to the thermal baths in Freiburg or Bad Krozingen. Neuf Breisach is interesting from a planning point of view but a hellhole otherwise - worth seeing sans plus. Don’t eat the kouglof salé they will try to flog you. Dogs seem welcome everywhere.
Lots of nice things to do but that’s off the top of my head :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Ah yes, the Schlumpf obsession… got the book but not the t-shirt :wink:
Mulhouse is often mentioned when our car club is planning outings… but never got past the “oh, yes please” stage… :roll_eyes:

@SuePJ if you and/or OH like old cars… Mulhouse is a must… :+1:

We went to Alsace about 20 years ago. The two highlights for me were walking through WW1 trenches up a mountain and tobogganing down a concrete trough!

Sommerrodelbahn, there are really good ones in the Black Forest :slightly_smiling_face:

We booked in to Riquewihr on our way to Italy and the place was fantastic. So much so we booked in for a few days on our way back. Not just there but 6 or 7 other villages around with lots on offer. We vowed to go back. For a proper holiday there sometime.

2 Likes

One of these might be good too

1 Like

Thanks Vero, already bought the Guide Vert - it is VERY thick - over 480 pages. I needed some help before I started. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve still got the ones for various parts of France, which we bought many, many years ago…
I used to browse through them on a miserable winter’s day in UK… planning new summer outings…
Now, we are just remembering the happy days.

Decades ago I drove through Alsace. Fantastic scenery and I remember noting Riquewehr for food and wine.

1 Like

One of our daughters is at uni in Strasbourg - surely one of the world’s most beautiful cities - not to be missed.
If preferred you can stay in/near a smaller town (like Colmar - which as @vero says is very pretty) and go into Strasbourg by train (less than an hour).

2 Likes

@SuePJ Just thought, if you like you can also go and spend a day in Basel, v nice, good museums and the Beyeler Foundation nearby.

2 Likes

Riquewihir is lovely - especially the wine ( I have a fondness for Alsace wine). But one place to avoid or not depending on your tastes is the feerie de Noel. An all year round extreme Christmas shop, which is full of Americans! My OH never got past the door, and turned and ran. I found it fascinating as a one time only visit.

And also because I really wanted to replace my childhood smoking man, a little painted wooden figure (mine was dressed in Tyrol outfit) and you pop a pyramid inside him and he puffs out rings of pine scented smoke.

2 Likes