Alternative therapies for your pets!

*Sponsored Content*

As you know, we never normally promote anything on SF that we haven’t tried and tested ourselves, but having known Reija (and her dogs!) personally for a very long time now, and as she’s been a SF member since the start, I am more than happy to vouch for her capabilities!

Like many SF members we are an animal owning and loving household. I’m also a big fan of more alternative treatments for both humans and animals; sadly in many areas it’s hard to find appropriate practitioners and so I was very pleased to hear that long time SF member Reija Feldmann is now offering a range of services as part of her business “Équilibre Animal”.

Reija is based in the middle of the Dordogne, in the south of Perigueux, and is happy to travel throughout the Dordogne as well as the surrounding departments as she prefers to see clients in their home environment. She takes a holistic approach analysing the animal as a whole, as well as its environment and the initial treatment can take around one to two hours.

So what does she do? Reija provides a range of complementary therapies including laser and magnetic field therapy for horses, cats, dogs and other animals. She is fully qualified having studied in Germany for three years and has diplomas in osteopathy, acupuncture, physiotherapy and homoeopathy. Her osteopathy treatments include craniosacral therapy (for the head, spine and sacrum), fascia therapy and visceral osteopathy. She explains, “It is more than just the manipulation of the joints; it is also possible to treat organs, the diaphragm or tissues. For acupuncture I use a laser pointer, which is much easier, safer and quicker than needles. The laser therapy and magnetic therapy can be used for treating wounds, oedema, scarring, pain, blockages and stiffness, all of which may occur for example, after hunting, competitions, accidents, surgery or just as part of the ageing process.

I also hold French dog behaviourist qualifications, the “Educateur comportementaliste canin” which includes the “Certificate de capacité” meaning that I am permitted to train dogs and run a kennel in France. I run a “Pension canine familiale” which is a dog boarding service where the dog stays in the house with the family. I only take small groups (not more than nine dogs), the dogs live together in the house and garden and we go for walks. I also offer training or therapy for the dog during his stay and have a separate kennel for dogs with behaviour or social problems. In terms of training I cover behavioural problems at home, on the lead, with other dogs and with other animals.
My dog training is always positive, no drill. I want to encourage the relationship between human and dog. I analyse the dog’s problem(s) and help both human and dog to find a way forward to a positive and successful relationship.

I also do “Degility” for dogs which is similar to traditional agility but is therapy based.
I have a small course set up at home and can also transport some obstacles if required. We work calmly and slowly on no more than three obstacles and it helps with coordination and self-confidence. It is ideal for older dogs, dogs with disabilities or injuries and former hunting dogs”.

Reija is a great believer in “Adopt - don’t shop” and owns three rescue dogs. One had been abused and was rescued here in France, the other two are street dogs from Romania, one of which had lost a leg and his tail in an accident. She also fosters for various different French dog rescue groups and mainly takes on the older dogs or ones with health issues, both of which are usually harder to re-home.

Reija offers a free initial consultation (apart from travel costs if over 15 km) and will let you know the tarifs after that. So if you have a problem dog, need a complementary therapist for your beloved pet or just want to leave your dog in a great environment when you go away, you can get in touch with @Reija_feldmann via her website.

6 Likes

I used to know an Australian guy called Poppy Treloar who used to manipulate horses, mainly polo ponies and race horses, using their nerve plexuses.
He could get them to bend and become supple.
I definitely remember being at our friend’s polo club, where I used to treat both players and ponies with Reiki, and the energy field that he created was amazing.
I could feel it on my own damaged back.
Energy medicine is amazing.

3 Likes

Didn’t know where to post this, but here seems ok, it’s about stoicism….and something else…

3 Likes

Five years ago our Ginger was diagnosed with FIP and he found it almost impossible to eat and he would lie still just lie stll looking helpless.He was prescribed an anti inflamatory and a homeopathic tablet to enhance his desire to eat. That is 5 years ago and he is till with us …skinny but happy and eating well.
We crush his tablet and mix with water and it is dispensed via a plastic dropper every other day.

2 Likes

Animals don’t complain, do they – there’s a lot we could learn from them…

1 Like

They are remarkable and I love my bunch deeply and enjoy spending time with them.

So true. Here is Jodie she is nearly 18 and has had a growth on her leg since February 2020. She is a bit blind and demented but she still gets around, eats well and takes herself outside to do her business.

2 Likes

Stoicism in animals is, as I’ve read, a built-in survival mode, a way of hiding pain or disability so that it doesn’t attract predators.

My cat BigBoy, 15 years old, developed a cancerous tumour on his heel, of all places, and it was surgically removed. It was a non-spreading, but come-back type of cancer, and it returned in a big way, resulting in a vet-advised amputation of his back right leg, a year later.

The first thing BigBoy did when I brought him home, wearing a surgical collar, lots of stitches, and missing his back leg, was to immediately scramble upstairs and hide, even from me! How he got upstairs so quickly was amazing!

His behaviour changed once he was ok’d to leave the house, in that he spent all day hidden in a safe place in a field and came home only to eat, or to come in from the cold. It’s as if he knew he was disabled and kept himself safe somewhere in a hidey-hole. The only giveaway was his radio collar – I knew where he was!

He’s home, happily, and the only thing I have to do for him is to scratch his right ear which he can’t scratch any more, despite how vigorously his ‘stump’ tries – which you can see in the video.

He gets regular face combs now!

5 Likes

Do animals feel pain when they give birth? A little story.

Whenever my neighbour’s cat gave birth, her kittens were immediately drowned, and this poor cat I’d see, and hear, from time to time, over several years, searching, calling for her lost kittens.

I was watching TV one day and was surprised to see her come into the living room, and even more surprised when she placed her paws up on my knee and look me in the eye. First time in the house, and heavily pregnant.

I wasn’t sure what was going on but decided to fold up a blanket and place it next to me on the settee, and settled her down, where she curled up and looked to be asleep, and so I continued watching TV.

About ten minutes later I was startled by an ear-piercing scream. Never have I heard such a sound, but it was her, and I saw a newly born kitten. I experienced over the next several minutes four more ear-piecing screams, and saw four more kittens.

She stayed with them on the settee for several hours, and then left. I took the blanket, with the kittens, and placed it on the floor behind an armchair which was pushed into a corner of the room. She found them as soon as she returned, where they remained until she had raised her one and only family.

During this time, I had called my neighbour’s young kids in to see them – they were delighted.

BigBoy in the above video, is the only remaining kitten, now 15 years old. His mother revealed that she at least, did feel the pain of giving birth, probably in more ways than one!

4 Likes

why on earth couldn’t the owner have had the cat spayed… surely better that what the poor thing went through time after time… :roll_eyes: :rage:

(Brit friends of ours were known as a soft-touch… since “drowning” only had to be hinted at… and they would accept the little scraps without hesitation…)

1 Like

My neighbours were a French farming family, and drowning kittens was what you did. What else do you do with them - drowning kittens was a way of life. They had seventeen semi-wild cats around the farm when I first came to live there.

When the eldest daughter got married and had children she kept a cat as a pet, but…

When mentioning spaying or castrating the response was akin to them themselves being neutered.

drowning was/is the cheapest… and that’s what counts with so many folk…
That’s why there are now associations etc which help with the vets’ bills for this intervention… not all areas of France have this aid, but folk are gradually becoming more enlightened/aware/caring.

2 Likes

This is true, at least in my part of France. Over a seven-year period running my semi-wild-cat charity/association, calls to simply get rid of them, changed to asking for advice and help to catch, neuter and release them.