Amazing things about the UK

the way the trees grow sideways in North Devon/North Cornwall :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Indeed!! The problem with being of a certain age is the memory isn’t so good any more!!! :grinning:

We haven’t seen Decazeville yet. I think we will be visiting!

Traditional country pubs still exist around here in Shropshire. I shall miss them.
I also have a soft spot for the Red Arrows.
The BBC remains a dear friend.

4 Likes

Ilove Shropshire, my mother was born in Much Wenlock and some of my family lived ne

What happened there?
I love Shropshire my mum was born in Much Wenlock and had relatives near Shrewsbury(pronounced Shrew----)and others near the Long Mynd
A lot of the countryside around the Midlands is beautiful if not better to that around Devon (ie the Wyre Forest in fact Im sure there is a place called Wyre Piddle thereabouts)
Am getting nostalgic

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that Carol, I recall my youth growing up on the Broads. Quite amazing scenery despite its flatness.

1 Like

AE Housman there’s another good thing.

1 Like

Not the prettiest place in the Aveyron, but try to visit on a Friday morning, when the market is really good, much cheaper than Figeac and with far more local Lot Valley and Quecois producteurs selling direct to the public. We love it and buy most of our food there.

If you let me know, I’ll send directions to the micro-brewery _= it’s a nice friendly set-up

1 Like

God I miss London. And Brighton. And the black irreverent woke free humour.

1 Like

Like “what did the bus conductor say to the bloke with 3 eyes one leg and no arms?”

1 Like

The old ones are the best!

Go on then what did he say??!!

1 Like

'I 'i 'i 'op on mate you look 'armless

4 Likes

A pub I occasionally went to in the early 80’s near a village called Moriah near Aberystwyth was a single room of an old miners cottage. It had two small folding tables with two chairs each. There was a dartboard on the wall, and the tables and chairs had to be folded and put outside when someone played darts. The ‘bar’ was a small table with no beer taps. The barman had to go out back to a lean-to to fill up a jug from a barrel. In total it was probably about half the size of my bedroom. It’s long gone, and I can’t for the life of me remember what is was called, which is sad.

1 Like

Is the Castle the same building as the Prison?

The prison was in the castle. It now holds the police museum, which was my reason for being there

Queueing. In the UK, us Brits are amazing at queuing. We are, without any hesitation, world leaders at it. And if you don’t believe me, read this entire Twitter thread about the Queue :rofl:

3 Likes

I watched some of it on BBC2 last night - it was slow TV to perfection. What the twitter contributor forgot to mention was the way they moved past “the box” In almost all cases there was a turn towards “the box”, a pause - some quite long pauses - often a bow, or a curtsey - and quite a few makings of the sign of the cross. All done with immense respect. I don’t think the Beeb had the sound on, if they did, the silence was profound. But from the faces it was evident that everything was being done so quietly, there was very little in the way of conversation.
I was fortunate to see a “changing of the guard”. Done immaculately. I wonder how many years of planning and rehearsal has gone into this? How many guardsmen have in fact retired and not been needed before their Queen died?

2 Likes

The guardsmen are fully-trained, operational soldiers who have served their Queen in combat and peacetime.
I saw a programme years ago, a fascinating insight into their lives…

This Channel 5 looks interesting…
https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/events/the-queens-guards/