Amazon.uk 2021

OMG…I can just about cope with Amazon.fr as my grasp of written French is better than listened to French…but my German doesn’t go beyond that in the occasional 1970s war film ! On paper it might as well be in ancient Greek

The .de site is actually very good… you can click to select English :wink:

1 Like

Thats interesting…but dare I trust myself with a third Amazon account !

1 Like

Dump the UK one

The negotiations are not complete yet and might go beyond the date set. So keep hoping.

I haven’t noticed any change between my UK and French accounts, same email address and both recognise me as soon as I visit.
I have looked at the German one from time to time but I don’t think I have ever bought there.
In addition to my Orange email address I still have my Wanadoo one, I suppose that would do if necessary. I certainly wouldn’t want to close the UK one, you never know when it might be useful.

If you use Chrome as your browser you can add a translation extension which will appear as a small icon at top right of page. You click on that and ask for the Amazon FR page being viewed to be translated.

As a test I have just been on both French and German sites. The French one simply refers me to UK to download books in English, giving no prices and the German one appears to be like UK except that one test book was just over €1 dearer and did ask me for an email address.

Will just have to wait and see.

I’m just wondering, does this come down to geography-specific email addresses, like .co.uk and .fr? Perhaps an answer might be to have a non-specific address such as @gmail.com, even if it were just to be used for Amazon.

yep, have been doing that for some time , my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek!

Someone tried a test purchase through Amazon UK and this was the result… Ordered in Sterling but to be paid en Euro…

I realise that they say they will refund any difference from what it finally charged but look also at the rip off exchange rate!

There’s a certain item that I want to order from a company based in the UK who sell worldwide. I’ve messaged them asking what extra charges I may incur but, at this moment in time, they are unable to tell me. I hasten to add that I am unable to source this particular item anywhere in Europe. Just so sad for businesses and consumers alike.

what could it be :thinking:

Now that would be telling! :wink:

1 Like

animal, vegetable or mineral? :upside_down_face:

I wish that really WAS the exchange rate! (I can dream . . . )

At least one can select to pay in GBP. I just bought a coupe of cables and a USB C hub from theme, total value about 40 quid, “import fees deposit” a tenner. Amazon France didn’t have the bits I wanted.

we no longer buy from Amazon UK for shipping to France as too expensive however as we have family in the UK we maintain our Amazon UK account so that we can send gifts to them.
We have received notification from Amazon today which reads:
'Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions. You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases*
This obviously has a major impact on all Visa credit card holders regardless of thier domicile not only by losing purchasing power but also the garantee of returning faulty goods via credit card protection.
I know that there are many Amazon haters who object to using the service but for those of us who do this is a major blow.

Seems like a bit of a stretch there maybe :rofl:

That said, if it really is that terrible Curve may be an option. They don’t have section 75 since the whole point is that it’s a debit card that fronts all your other cards, but they do have their own ‘version’ of the protection S75 gives which worked well when I needed it.
https://www.curve.com/

Oh dear poor Amazon, do you think they dont make enough profit already, will Bezos not be able to launch his dildo into space?
Their loss, they will reverse their decision when they see sales fall.

1 Like