An All-American Guilty Pleasure

My non-American friends won't likely understand my excitement...... Yesterday I bought American marshmallows at Auchan & I know where I can buy Rice Krispies, so I see a batch of Rice Krispie Treats in my future. My husband & I are really looking forward to this guilty pleasure. I must be feeling a bit homesick (not that I feel that way at all, as far as I can tell) or simply nostalgic for American foods, because there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven at the moment. Yummy!

Thank you for your commiseration, I really need it to deal with this major trial ;-)

You poor thing. :)

Nice work if you can get it!

Thank you! I'll have to try it & do a comparative tasting, how awful, what a drag, I hope everyone is feeling sorry for me...

Love Mary Berry and watch The Great British Bake Off and having lived in the UK for many years before moving here permanently know how revered she is. But not sure if the original could be improved upon. At least not to my child's mind, haven't had it since then though. :)

Here's the recipe for the original Rice Krispie Treats: http://www.ricekrispies.com/recipes/the-original-treats

Oh! How do you make them in the US?

In the UK it's 200g Rice Krispies to 100g each of butter, marshmallows & soft toffees melted together until syrupy then mixed in, shaped & left to set. At least according to my recipe which is actually that of Saint Mary Berry, patron saint of inept bakers ;-)

Enjoy!

Will have to try this soon. I will leave off the caramars though because I am a traditionalist. :) Love the original anyway.

They work absolutely fine with chamallows & I use carambars for the toffee. I have 5 children so I make them A LOT for taking to school for birthdays etc & now I get requests for them from my children's friends. So handy being able to make it as big as you like! The mega boxes of Rice Krispies come in v handy, I usually use 2 or 3 & the corresponding quantities of butter chamallows & carambars. I make them christmas tree shaped for christmas & have made boxes out of them (just squares & rectangles cut to size which need to be tied up with ribbon once good & cold) with 'treasure' inside for eg Pirate parties etc. I do the mixing in a recycling bag as it is miles easier, you don't smash any rice krispies & you just throw it out afterwards so there is no washing-up.

Rice Krispie treats, those do take me back many years!

I served a Tex-Mex buffet last night for English friends, fun to make and they seemed to like it all, including Corona beer. Made a nice change from all the holiday food.

Our French, Dutch and Belgian friends go for my brownies and “American” cookies. Just found a recipe online for hob-nobs for my English husband. They are in all the shops but I think homemade should be better.

Nicole, they are one of those things I never think about eating --- until it's difficult to find the ingredients, & then I dream about them! I had thought about trying to make them with French marshmallows (guimauve), but am not sure about the texture & taste. As soon as we finish the banana bread I made a couple of days ago, I'll be at the stove making the RK treats. Can't wait. Maybe I'll even upload a photo so everyone can drool. lol!

Oooh Rice Krispie treats! I haven't had them since I was a kid but now REALLY want them. Very envious.

Let us know how they turn out. :)

I love banana bread & this loaf came out yummy! There are so many variations on the recipe, but I used the one that my friend got from her grandmother; it was the first banana bread I had ever tasted & it's still my fave. Rice Krispie Treats coming soon. :-D

I haven't had Rice Krispie bars since about 1970....but I have made my grandmother's banana bread (Nana's banana bread) alot and given it to the neighbors and the boulangerie...they loved it.