An attempt to lift pesticide ban

Bees in the UK are in danger because next Tuesday David Cameron and the coalition cabinet are going to decide whether the UK will allow banned bee (and many other insects) killing pesticides to be used on fields across the UK. A large pesticide manufacturer called Syngenta has just appealed after their product was banned over the last year due to the risk to bees.

The neonicotinoid pesticides that the EU banned last year have been subject of a Europe wide ban, but Cameron's cabinet can overrule that in emergency circumstances. He is setting up the conditions for claiming they need to be used. Bees pollinate our fruit and vegetables, the other insects who would be annihilated too are mostly beneficial. Sygenta are claiming the ban is wrong and needs to be overturned, although scientist from all round the world have conclusive, well documented evidence that neonicotinoid pesticides do more damage than good, indeed will cause a great deal of losses. If the UK gets away with being allowed to do that then there is the risk that other countries will defy the evidence and do the same.

There are petitions asking for support in demanding Cameron does not let Syngenta get its way. I have looked at it, thought about it and the scientific evidence is convincing, therefore I shall sign any of them I come across. I know this is particularly about the UK at this point in time but it distrurbs me wherever this is happening.

thanks for the update... was wondering where it was going

On Thursday Syngenta withdrew their application that would have allowed their neonicotinoid pesticides on UK fields.

Owen Paterson, the environment minister, wanted to allow Syngenta, but the final decision was deemed so serious that it was taken to the Prime Minister and his cabinet to discuss. A petition signed by over 200,000 people arrived on Cameron's desk, before the Tuesday meeting. In fact the cabinet did not reach a decision which meant at that stage Syngenta did not get their licence. Having seen public opinion, it is highly likely they would ultimately have not decided to end the UK's part in the international ban. Syngenta reacted by withdrawing. Bees, other insects and field living and hunting creatures now have one less deadly poison that threatens them.

I've seen the damage a plague of locusts can do, about 8 years ago on an olive plantation in Western Australia, but I can well imagine a plague of brown envelope pushers and/or politicians to be a much scarier affair.

No, a plague of Tory supporting landowners who want more money....

I will also be signing and sharing on FB any petitions I come across...

saying they can change the laws "in emergency circumstances"...... is there a plague of locusts on the way?