An Important Amendment to the Meaningful Vote on the 29th February that Concerns Us All

Thank you Caroline,
You will find a pdf from British in Europe and the 3 Million at the bottom of my first post.
It is always better if you can personalise a letter explaining how losing Freedom of Movement or any of our other rights that will be taken away by Brexit will affect you, or them, personally.
Have you seen that Spain is again kicking up its heels and trying to call Gibralter a colony and refusing to sign the withdrawal agreement so that all UK visitors to the EU will need a visa?

Well of course they are. They want it back. I think Ireland has a growing idea in that direction. They are waiting for the right time.

This is the reply I have just received from my MP, David Drew, MP for Stroud and the Shadow Minister for Agriculture.
"Dear Jane

Thank you for your email. It is indeed a worrying time which is why we must defeat No Deal next week, despite the attempts of the Government to run down the clock. The Costa amendment fits closely with what we have been trying to do on securing settled status. However it is not at all clear what the Governmentā€™s approach is to this. We will be pushing them hard on this next week and hope they see sense to support his intentions. Holding so many people to ransom is neither fair nor sensible if we want people to remain to keep our economy functioning.

Yours sincerely,

David Drew MP

So you see it works!

2 Likes

I didnā€™t say anything of the kind!

And my previous MP is Jeremy Corbynā€¦so not much hope there then.

1 Like

In a previous existence I used to churn out replies to members of the public who had written to Ministers. Rarely did the Minister see or read the letter, or do more than glance at the reply. I imagine MPs are similar. Their communications people would want to know stats for broad subject areas on a monthly basis, but that was about it. So I prefer to add my voice to pressure groups as feel thatā€™s more effective.

And

@Norman_Clark. We should all be able to vote in the european elections here? Iā€™m certainly planning to make sure I use my vote for someone who supports the EU.

1 Like

I have sent an email and a copy of the letter to my MP.

I think maybe it is not a case of either or when it comes to standing up for our rights. For such important issues, surely a multi-pronged approach is best. Letā€™s hammer them from all sides!

2 Likes

The link is a bit of malware. Do not click it. When you are directed it to it Cisco tells you it is a bit of malicious virus. If you open it, it will plant a Trojan onto your computer.

1 Like

Oh dearā€¦I did get a message asking if I trusted it. I went on ahead. I didnā€™t get a virus warning though.

So (announced in the last half hour) TM has cancelled the meaningful vote for next week kicking the can further down the road again.

Not so much kicking the can down the road as running the clock down.

She has nothing new - either in her head or from the EU - and knows it.

This is a pissing contestā€¦

2 Likes

TM is certainly playing a dangerous game with yet another delay, Iā€™m not sure she actually twigs that a ā€˜no-dealā€™ Brexit will finish the Tories.

or even cares :rage:

To be fair this is all TM can do at the moment - she has nothing new from Brussels so is pretty much guaranteed to lose again.

This has come down simply to her deal and her cynical focus on geting it through in whatever manner that she can - and at the moment her only option is to take it to the wire and offer parliament the choice between mere disaster and Armageddon - unfortunately this tactic has a good chance of leading us to no deal.

If there were any justice the Tories would be finished whatever the outcome, given the mishandling of this and the damage already done to the country. Unfortunately the opposition is lead (if that is the right word) by a man so unpalatable to the UK electorate that the Tories are still ahead in the polls; donā€™t hold your breath for the death of the Conservatives.

1 Like

If the UK crashes out on the 29th of March and chaos ensues then the Tories will get the blame and Labour will get the most seats at the next GE with or without Corbyn as leader.

Expect lots of attempts to shift the blame to the EU.

Given how the Tory faithful is prepared to lap up the anti-EU bile poured forth by Murdochā€™s press it will take a lot to overcome that rhetoric.

I have just head on the Today programme that a fund is being established to deal with the poverty and food shortages that will be caused by No Deal.
It totally defies belief that we can go down this path and that our government finds it acceptable.
Expect more defections!

I have a friend coming over in April, who assures me that neither Brexit nor ā€œno-deal Brexitā€ will happen; & that itā€™s just a ā€œplotā€ (his words) to conceal a ā€œdarker plotā€ (again, his words)
Either, itā€™s that ridiculous, that it could just be true; or his tin foil helmet slipped brieflyā€¦

I donā€™t know what to think anymore

1 Like

Tell us more about the dark plot? Seeing as the whole world has gone mad, no harm in sharing it :grinning:

4 Likes

I would if I knew what he meant

My fear is that when he arrives in April, he will explain it all to me.

At lengthā€¦

3 Likes