Ancient wheat flour

Why ancient wheats?

There was a time when, crossing the country, the taste of the bread would change daily with the local varieties of stone ground wheat. For 10,000 years wheat had nourished civilisation. Then the advent of the roller mill meant the switch from flour in which the whole grain is blended, to the industrial production of pure, refined white flour in which the bran and kernel are removed altogether. Bleached and chemically treated, this new type of flour kept almost indefinitely and pest problems were eliminated because it was so stripped of nutrition, pests didn’t want it.

Added to that was the transformation of the worlds’ wheat crop in the 1950’s. The “Green Revolution” pioneered new species of dwarf wheat which when grown with complimenting fertilisers and pesticides increased yield spectacularly. But we now know that this small, distant relative of wheat isn’t really wheat at all. It’s a synthetic ball of pure gluten.

It was inevitable that bread started to make us ill rather than sustain us. How many people now say they need to go gluten-free? But a lot of gluten free is junk food. Check the ingredients and you’ll probably see some combination of rice starch, cornstarch, potato starch and guar gum as a substitute for white flour. These are highly refined industrial starches.

Stone ground ancient wheats offer an alternative. They’re naturally low in gluten, nutritionally rich and delicious. This is the daily bread of which our ancestors spoke. They are grown in ‘populations’ containing many varieties which naturally adapt to the area over time and which bring great depth of flavour to the bread. We’re constantly finding and multiplying new varieties that can add interesting new elements to our blend.

2 Likes

Very cool, I love your logo too (hope you don’t mind that I posted it?)! Are you in touch with @Brent_Curtis?

How do I get hold of some of your flour?

Hi James,

Best way to get the flour is to email Andy at info@therealfoodfight.uk

Thanks for posting the logo!

Piers

1 Like

Hello James, I know Andy already but I hadn’t seen his site. Very nice.

If you figure out the details of payment, I could probably bring a sack of his flour down to see you next time I head your way in a couple of weeks. I have to see him soon anyway.

Brent.

1 Like

Thanks @Brent_Curtis Is Andy member yet? Maybe you could invite him if not? Always happy to get the word out for quality produce as you know! :slight_smile:

Maybe a bit off-topic:
http://www.agweb.com/article/brexits-pound-plunge-causes-record-wheat-exports-to-france-blmg/

I was totally ignorant that enough wheat is grown in UK to export it.