And if YOU made the rules? Let's get creative! (LOL)

On the Monty Python show, John Cleese established just such a department.

Thats a brilliant idea Brian, we could follow it up with a lemon tasting contest, woould certainly wipe the smile off their faces

I am supposedly an intellectual but I always knew it as:

RULES, HAH!

love it! by that I mean the comment rather than the speedos....

et une bite...! :-O

tabac are definitely not male only environments! as a buraliste, I'd say that over 50% of our clients are female...! :-O

Emily - that is brilliant. Are you running for President? Cos if so, I am voting team Emily.

I only just stumbled across this discussion. I have sat here for nearly two hours laughing out loud.... so thank you hugely all the (slightly crazy!!) participants :-) Is there an equivalent French expression to "tongue in cheek"? With so many erudite folk here, I am sure to get an answer.

Thanks again for making my evening so enjoyable!

The 5th of November perhaps!

Right Oh then! Lets make it Nov. 5th. Don't forget the fireworks. Bugger! I forgot. They are also banned without a mayoral decree. Oh well, Hung for a sheep as well as a lamb and all that;-)

Just remember the French have been treated like sheep for hundreds of years, when they had their revolution and replaced the royal family with new radicals, the peasants where so under educated and down trodden that rules where introduced to tell the population on how to do things in their lives.

it is not their fault but the governing class, yes France has several class distinctions, more than the UK.

Follow this simple rule:

RULES ARE FOR FOOLS TO OBEY BUT ARE A GUIDANCE FOR INTELLECTUAL PEOPLE FOLLOW.

I'm on, since we heard we're 'above the law' (my understanding) I've been looking for excuses... ;-)

I'm thinking of organising an informal "National Bonfire Day". Fires all over France would spread the law a bit thin don't you think?

Hi, didnt know about any rules re; bonfires. Here, just outside of Eymet, I am surrounded by farms that have bonfires every other day of the week. Doesnt affect me as rarely does the smoke reach us, but we are on a fairly high promontory and can see the valleys laid out below us, and watch numerous bonfires burn daily. We have had the odd bonfire, as no one can see our garden, unless they are in a helicopter...its never been a problem!

Interesting question Vic. After a considerable amount of rain recently the ban continues here. However, we have a square pit built whilst this was a working farm. The deputy mayor asked if we were using it, to which we said no because bonfires are banned. He chuckled and told us because it is a purpose built fire pit with a wall nearly a metre above ground level, it is a supervised fire and not a bonfire so we can burn what we like, when we like. Ironically it is next to a wooden building that is falling apart that we cannot afford to repair. My OH and I find ourselves shaking our heads about a lot of things but this takes the pip.

The one I particularly find amusing is the law here banning bonfires. I cut down my own trees to provide fuel but cannot legally burn on a bonfire the small wooden branches which are left over . If however I have a fire installed by a professional I can claim a credit against my taxes because it burns wood. Bl**dy imbeciles, you couldn't make it up!!!

I have found that in practice many people should have written "pas lu et pas compris" :-)

There seem to be plenty of women buying fags in tabacs

Know what you mean

I went to a Cambridge college in the late 1960s and most of the elderly fellows did not know there was such a thing as a female, the houha when women were let into colleges between 1972 and 1988. My lot were mid-80s. So segregation lasted until you were sweet 16 but is that the end of it, oh no! Three colleges in Cambridge still only accept women so there is now a growing lobby for some of the old colleges to revert back to chaps only... The medieval mind is still alive and well and would like to make rules to prove it.