And just before the year comes to a close

But I have many gay friends AND love them for them.
And not for their moral standing.

Just heard that Carrie Fisher has died following a heart attack last week. May the force be with her…

1 Like

Well Simon ,
Well the people at the DM, haven’t concocted this…it is/has been widely reported elsewhere…(I do get my info from all sorts of sources and do question what is being said/written…

As a teacher, I think I brought good deal of useful life experience (that I don’t intend to go into in any detail here), as well as my practical artistic skills to the job - and one of the nice aspects was getting a lot of positive feed-back from supportive and knowledgeable colleagues, as well as from appreciative pupils (& parents), who recognised that one had their best interests at heart and had done ones best to give them the skills and encouragement they needed, to achieve some degree of success. I am proud of my good teaching record and have taught extensively in special needs as well as in mainstream secondaries and in the lofty height of the Independent sector…therefore, I am not worried by your comments on that score…

I think this reply of yours merely exposes your own prejudices, as this kind of behaviour by certain types of male homosexuals (I believe that there was some research carried out ages ago now , which included a survey which revealed that the average number of partners of male homosexuals in New York was somewhere in the region (a mind-boggling figure) of over a thousand…) I just don’t get that kind of behaviour…It seems like the worst kind of addiction…I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy…

He was a successful singer. He was both rich and generous. However his drug use and sexual activity made him a poor role model. It makes no difference whether he was gay or heterosexual, that is not the issue here. The really sad thing is that anyone should die in their mid life cut off from the world around them.

1 Like

Hilary (?) - this discussion isn’t about you and your perceived accomplishments - it’s about the death of the huge global talent that was George Michael - a point that you seem to have missed due to your unusual (and misguided) obsession with male homosexuality.

I’m not at all surprised you ‘don’t get that kind of behaviour’ (not that you need to) - but thankfully your ‘species’ is nearing extinction.

Drugs, alcohol and homosexuality have been integral to the lives of musicians and composers for a long, long time. This is not about judgement, it’s about admiration for what they achieved. After all they enriched many people’s lives.

Maybe drugs, alcohol and hedonism, rather than homosexuality. Not all musicians are gay/bi

You seem determined to misinterpret what I say, Simon. I don’t have many obsessions and male homosexuality certainly isn’t one of them.
Was he cut off from the world around him ? I think not…he has been reported as seeing his friends often and partying during the last few weeks. He just wasn’t performing …The papers are saying that he became reclusive because of the self-disgust he felt about gaining so much weight and ageing badly.

He had relationships, but his behaviour leads us to interpret that he was deeply unfulfilled and unhappy. It is sad that he died so young and didn’t manage to renew/continue his musical career in the same way that someone like, say, Tom Jones has…or perhaps a better example is Billy Joel (who also looks nothing like his younger self and has had plenty of life events to overcome…see this extract from his Wikki entry…
"Joel battled depression for many years. In 1970, a career downturn and personal problems aggravated his condition. He left a suicide note (which inspired the lyrics to “Tomorrow Is Today”) and attempted to commit suicide by drinking furniture polish, saying later, “I drank furniture polish. It looked tastier than bleach.”[28] His drummer and bandmate, Jon Small, rushed him to the hospital. Joel checked into Meadowbrook Hospital, where he was put on suicide watch and received treatment for depression.[86] Joel later recorded “You’re Only Human (Second Wind)” as a message to help prevent teen suicide.

In 2002, Joel entered Silver Hill Hospital, a substance abuse and psychiatric center in New Canaan, Connecticut. In March 2005, he checked into the Betty Ford Center,[87] where he spent 30 days for the treatment of alcohol-related problems.[88]

Joel has no bone in his left thumb, since his 1982 motorcycle accident. Joel is right-handed, though he believes left-handed people have an advantage when playing the piano[89]

In 2013, Joel described being in depression since the 9/11 attacks. He cited Yousafzayi Malala as his inspiration for restoring his faith in humanity.[90]"

Just seen this myself and I am surprised…She looked pretty well on the Graham Norton programme, recently (although I must confess that I was surprised to learn that she was just 60…I had thought that she was at least 10 yrs older),…so many young deaths in 2016
.I believe that at one point, Carrie Fisher had a drug problem, so perhaps this takes it’s toll on the heart & other internal organs…Although Keith Richards continued survival (which I am glad about), seems to go against this…and you would never call him ‘sad.’… .

I have high blood pressure Hilary and I hardly drink alcohol and I
do not use drugs unless they are prescribed.
So…not so sure is a healthy survival has anything to do with drugs
or alcohol intake…Or being gay!
Good life is a punctuation of commitment, luck and the occasional
moment of sadness.

1 Like

Long life can usually be attributed to the luck of inheriting good genes !

some times…
But more than anything Hillary the prescription for a long life is
something individual.
I am not sure about the genes bit…I could not be more different to
my parents.
It is the way of the teacher…the direct road which goes from A to Z
and everything neatly routed inbetween.
There are diversions, excursions and journeys in life.

Whether

Subtle difference or not, you still got your message across @ keziah. Allow him to rest in peace, please

1 Like

Do you really think that teachers do no more than take children from A to Z along a predetermined path with no obstructions, diversions or excursions inbetween?

ah another teacher…perhaps.
Yes…I believe I do.

In that case you haven’t got the slightest clue. Thirty children in a class all with their individual needs and demands, up to 13 subjects in the primary curriculum to get on top of and teach in a variety of ways to the same class at the same time, paperwork and accountability like little else, management who are likely to change their minds almost as frequently as whichever government is in power, negotiations and diplomacy at a level that is acceptable to four year olds and parents of varying intelligence and willingness. Not all work is like working in a kitchen. Anyone can put a frozen bag in the microwave, pour it onto a plate and charge £25 for it. Don’t say it doesn’t happen, it does!
Actually I don’t believe you could be that naive to have made that comment in the first place. You must be joking. Ha ha. Very funny.

ah there we are!
But I think that you may have the wrong idea about the way
I cook, and have cooked in London when I had restaurants …it
is not possible to get 3 AA rosettes for boil in the bag food!
I am sure that there are some tedious moments in a teachers life…
but the paid holiday period is pretty amazing…

My very best friend was a teacher…and then a head master but
he always wanted the last word and always felt that he was right.

Please don’t play the holiday card. You don’t have a clue. Let’s end it there, it’s probably too late to educate you.

1 Like

What is really important in life…is what we do with the knowledge we gain.
Secondly …we continue to learn through out our lives.
The best examination to pass in life is the one which leads us to understanding
and then on to happiness.

2 Likes