Another Yorkie, Montagnac la Crempse(24)

Goodness really close to me.

A friends gorgeous (not sure what breed) also went missing yesterday from a hamlet just outside there. They were out all night looking and all day today, not heard anything yet. I’m going to forward her this link as well and maybe she can also put her dog up. I hope it isn’t dog stealers :frowning:

Just clicked and they have been found :slight_smile:

Good news indeed, I hope your friend’s dog is found soon too. A good idea to steer them towards this site. costs nothing and can do no harm

I have no idea how many dogs are recovered because of this publicity. I know my own lost one some years ago was found very quickly, but of her own accord, not because of this site.

Just re-read your post and noticed you said they, does that mean both are found then?

No sorry should have said she has been found. I need to call my friend and see how they are going and I’ll send them to this site to put up an add. Thanks David.

A tale of a lost and found dog… Some neighbours lost their dog while out walking last year. They left posters pinned to every tree, everywhere possible, and the local vet, but then had to go back urgently to the UK. We went to have a look near their house and where the dog went missing but found no sign. It must have been around 2 weeks after this, a very tired and hungry dog answering the same description walked into a farm 10 km or so away. The farmer knew of the missing dog via the posters, and phoned the owners who phoned us to let us know. As they weren’t able to return to France straight away we boarded the dog for a couple of days. She ate like a horse! With no fence all round, we were worried she might wander off again, so I had to accompany her on very frequent outings into the garden! She was calm and slept very nicely on an old blanket and made just one visit upstairs to our bedroom in the night. Moral : the posters were a very good idea, the bush telegraph worked well, and people were happy to keep an eye and ear open. Her people were overjoyed to see her on their return.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed for your friends Tory, but glad to see the Yorkie is home. A friend of mine has been wanting to adopt for ages and I have put several possibles their way but they are looking for ‘pur race’. This made me think that maybe there is a market for them and might have been snatched.

@Fleur
Yes, certainly the way to go, as much publicity as possible. I made posters and hawked them, round gendarmeries, supermarkets, garages, vets, farms and of course, trees and lamposts. All to no avail because she found her own way back, but it could have been a game changer.

I think he is probably ‘race pur’ but he is also fairly old (10 I think) but looks lovely adn fit and helathy. I’ve called and left a message about the site and called again for news but they haven’t answered so imagine no good news yet.

I think it is a shame that people are so obsessed with breed dogs, all my life the best dogs are often mongrels / mixed, intelligent, often best of both breeds etc. and none of the inbreed nightmares! ETA the mixed I grew up with were all on the farm - Aussie working dog breeds mixed together so obviously started off with good brains!

I’m still talking my hubby around David but if you ever come across a mongrel (preferably with some sort of Aussie breed mixed (collie, cattle dog) in of course!) that is no bigger than medium, good with kids, chooks, husbands, our cat, neighbours dogs, isn’t a drooly or loads of hair shedding (or I’d never get it around the man shape!) and needs a home do let me know!! Would be happy to take an older dog (although not totally decrepit - the kids would be devastated if we got a dog and it died a year later!) but house trained!

I’ll certainly keep my eyes open Tory, but most of the dogs I meet nowadays are large Dobermanns. :laughing:

1 Like

Just to update, turns out he’d been sent to a friends as their other dog was on heat and must have been trying to find his way home (10 km) but ended up being found 10km in the other direction! Poor darling was very hot and tired and thirsty but safe. They got his chip read or however it works and called my friend yesterday - they are so relieved!

Good news, and maybe a little hint towards sterilisation, perhaps? :wink:

And also the value of the chip (legal obligation anyway) and, if a foreign one, registering it with the French authorities. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I love a happy ending :pray::hugs:

1 Like

Our vet wishes that his French clients would sterilise their dogs which are not for breeding.
It saves so many unwanted puppies and other problems, such as male dogs going after bitches on heat.

So do I, most of my work over the years has been with rescue organisations, all of which insist on neutering before adoption, so it is definitely my default position.

The only exceptions are puppies too young, or dogs with temporary health problems, and in these cases transfer of ownership is witheld until proof is received. Failing that the dogs are recalled.

Quite right too.
We rescued our border collie cross from being shot, they didn’t want to pay the 100 euros for the SPA.
It cost us nearly a thousand euros for her initial consultation, chipping, vaccinations and scan to see if she was pregnant and then sterilisation.

How do you register a dogs chip? We presumed that as they went to the local vet their chip would be known?

I have forgotten the name or contact details of the French organisation to be notified, but any vet would do it for you or at least give you the info.

It is necessary if your dog has a foreign chip, such as a British one, as the vet, though his instrument can read it, can’t link to any ownership details.

You just have to fill in the form and pay a small fee, the last time I did it it was €15 I think, and then your foreign chip will link to your chosen address/phone number, wherever it is in the world.

So necessary if your dog wanders in France, and is found, but can’t be returned.