Any Addicts Out There?

I’ve lost 16 kilos over the past year, go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week on top of my regular ‘sporting’ activities and have never felt better. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s been pretty easy really - I’ve cut out bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and unrefined sugar as much as I can. :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

I eat lots of fruit, veg, cheese, fish, chicken, charcuterie etc and all my blood tests have shown a real improvement - cholesterol, glucose etc etc yawn…which has been a nice surprise. :smile: Oh and guess what - I drink :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass:

The thing that has really focused me is the amount of refined sugar in every day products. I read labels now - something I never did! I go to McD’s on a regular basis but only for their coffee which I love! They give me loads of sugar sticks and a free biccy which I save for guests! I now equate McD sugar sticks to the labelling on things we buy.

One McD sugar stick has 4g of sugar in it. The photo below shows a 400ml can of Heinz tomato soup - it has 5 packets of McD sugar in it - i.e. approx 20g !! Pretty shocking. There are loads of examples - especially amongst low fat products which are normally stacked full of sugar - I never buy low fat stuff !

2 Likes

My friend was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he said that he would pick things up look and think it was okay, then realise that the sugar content listed was per 30 grams and the pack would hold 300 grams

1 Like

Confessions of an addict.

In the UK I had a drink problem, used to smoke and at times took drugs.

I managed to quit smoking (and pill popping etc) before we left the UK but until two years ago was still drinking every day, this is now under control and I can happily go days without any alcohol, not only that when I do partake I rarely have more than two beers and have virtually stopped drinking wine.

One of the daftest things I was addicted to was HP sauce and would get through a bottle a week, but even this is now down to less than a bottle a month.

3 Likes

It’s scary Nellie! I knew about the sugar ‘issue’ but I didn’t really take it in. I can’t tell you how much better I feel, and how much more energy I have for having cut it out! Spooky stuff - maybe it’s a population control mechanism lol ?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A 255g small bottle of HP sauce has approx 58g of sugar in it - that’s nearly 15 McD sticks!

1 Like

Wow, that’s really good Simon, I shall soon be taking my trusty bike out in the hopes of shedding some (far too much) excess fat !

My French partner has an appointment on his 'phone that he can scan code bars on food products to see what they contain, fats, additives, salt, sugar.
It’s amazing that even Bio foods can come up ‘mediocre’, I asked him to scan a product that mum likes, the result out of a 100 … zero!

IMO that’s a real scandal and I believe that food manufacturers should be penalised when there are these sort of results. After all how many working people have time to check out these details ?

2 Likes

I have cut out all the shit I ate before.
I was 116 kilos & 6’ 6" when I arrived in 2002, it dropped to 20 kg less, but I eat a balanced diet & I’m neither veggie nor vegan, & I find no real difference; except that I grow my own veg & chooks & have the impression that I’m much better for it.

That’s amazing Timothy. I can’t yet moderate my drinking, but I try to have alcohol free days.

Good for you Adam, keep it up :pray:
I was addicted to smoking once (never admitted it at the time) but stopped smoking and became a vegetarian, that was over thirty eight years ago.

By having/trying to have days free of booze you are moderating your consumption by decreasing, lessening, reducing, regulating, restraining, checking, controlling or subduing your tendency to consume it.

All meanings of the verb ’ to moderate’ (there are more)!

Give your self a pat on the back, and keep on doing all of them, one day at a time.

“My name is Peter…”

1 Like

:hugs:

It’s ‘baby steps’ to conquer any addiction and you shouldn’t beat yourself up if you stray occasionally, as Peter has said the fact that Adam has managed to have ‘dry days’ is very positive provided he doesn’t make up for it with ‘binge days’.:wink: